Les Paul Knob Pointers

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
My Gibson strangely never came with one, I found that Thomann sells them (even aged ones), are there anything to look out for when fitting them and removing the knobs?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_ppkp_059_knob_pointers_nickel.htm
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Nothing to look out for really - it's a very straightforward process. Take the knob off, put the pointer on, put the knob back on - if the knob doesn't come off easily I tend to use a couple of spoons on top of a towel for leverage.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    johnl said:
    Nothing to look out for really - it's a very straightforward process. Take the knob off, put the pointer on, put the knob back on - if the knob doesn't come off easily I tend to use a couple of spoons on top of a towel for leverage.
    How are they held down in place without spinning?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Not an answer to the questions I know, but while these look great, whenever I've had them I ALWAYS end up impaling/tearing chunks out of the ball of my thumb on the things.

Then, if you'd heard me play, the lack of coordination/dexterity would probably make perfect sense.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    johnl said:
    How are they held down in place without spinning?
    The pointers? They're held down by the same nut that holds the pot in place.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    They're cool but they're sharp. I have drawn blood on more than one occasion
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 556
    Worth taking the rear cavity plate off before pushing the knobs on, to apply equal pressure to the back of the pot with your thumb to prevent pushing the shaft through the base plate.
    Not that I've done that ;)
    well only once!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5111
    edited April 2020
    I believe you can buy them with rounded as opposed to sharp points if you want to remove the gashing risk. Although I’ve been using Gibson’s with sharp pointers for over 30 years and never stabbed myself yet! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    roberty said:
    +1. AKA "Thumb Rippers". I would avoid them, personally.

Worth taking the rear cavity plate off before pushing the knobs on, to apply equal pressure to the back of the pot with your thumb to prevent pushing the shaft through the base plate.
    well only once!
    *Always* take the cover plate off, both to prevent that and to stop the pot turning round and breaking the leg off the tone cap.

They are tricky to hold in just the right position while you tighten the nut and hold the pot still on the inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I popped some very low tack (it was masking tape I ran over my t shirt a few times) to indicate where i want the pointer to point on the guitar body. Whilst the knob was still on. 

Removed the knob, undo the nut, hold the back of pot try not to let it move. 

Pop pointer on, pop nut back on, keep holding pot, finger tighten it, then put the knob back on just so it bites the grooves on the shaft to make sure its number still lines up with the pointer, then whilst holding pot from back tighten with spanner. 

Can also just do one knob at a time, eyeballing it per say. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    ICBM said:
    roberty said:
    +1. AKA "Thumb Rippers". I would avoid them, personally.

well only once!
    *Always* take the cover plate off, both to prevent that and to stop the pot turning round and breaking the leg off the tone cap.

They are tricky to hold in just the right position while you tighten the nut and hold the pot still on the inside.
    Well *now* I have to take my cover plate off to see if I've broken anything....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    well only once!
    I pulled the shaft out of a pot on an R8 when trying to get the knob off a while back...much to the mirth of this forum.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    well only once!
    I pulled the shaft out of a pot on an R8 when trying to get the knob off a while back...much to the mirth of this forum.
    I’m sure your plight was met with sympathy and helpful remedial suggestions, in equal measure.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    Bought my Gibson ones from Amazon. Faber makes them and they’re cheaper.
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    I have removed loads of these, "Thumb Rippers", from my Gibson's over the years. P.M me your address & I'll send you some, F.O.C.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Then again, if anyone wishes to point at a 'Les Paul Knob', I'll PM you details of my next jam sesh.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    Glued to music sell them in Nickel. £1.60 each.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    veldt666 said:
    I have removed loads of these, "Thumb Rippers", from my Gibson's over the years. P.M me your address & I'll send you some, F.O.C.
    Thanks, that would be fantastic!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3685
    Thanks guys, now Im gassing for pointers, where do you get the none sharp pointy ones?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    I would say AllParts but they are out of stock of course
    robgilmo said:
    Thanks guys, now Im gassing for pointers, where do you get the none sharp pointy ones?
    Me too! I’m so bleedin’ suggestible :open_mouth: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer