Bo Diddley guitar

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 260
Hi all

I'm a bit of a fan of Bo Diddley and was just idly wondering what his rectangular guitar would be like to play - I see Gretsch still sell them and I see there's also one that was made by a company called Hoyer.

Has anyone on here played one?

I know there's also a Thunderbird type, which also looks excellent.

I can't afford one, just a bit of lockdown wishfulness! 

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I haven't played one, but I imagine that top fret access would be slightly better than on a Les Paul... ;)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• steersteer Frets: 1220
    Coincidentally, I had a dream very recently that I bought a Bo Diddley guitar body in a charity shop. It had a broken neck, so was very cheap. I put a new neck on and it was absolutely magnificent. In my dream. 

Hope that helps.  =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steer said:
    Coincidentally, I had a dream very recently that I bought a Bo Diddley guitar body in a charity shop. It had a broken neck, so was very cheap. I put a new neck on and it was absolutely magnificent. In my dream. 

Hope that helps.  =)

I actually did a genuine real world lol at that :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
    I have a Gretsch Billy Bo and that is glorious.... I assume the Bo Diddley would also be good assuming you don't venture too far up the fretboard, and it may not be the most comfortable guitar to play sat down!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 260
    hairmetal said:
    I have a Gretsch Billy Bo and that is glorious.... I assume the Bo Diddley would also be good assuming you don't venture too far up the fretboard, and it may not be the most comfortable guitar to play sat down!
    That guitar does look fantastic actually.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8123
    Never played a Billybo. They look great in any colour, but in Cadillac green with cream bonding, it’s stunning.  Ever seen the Reverse Billybo’s they did a while back?

Gretsch offer (or have offered) the BoDiddly im
    the electromatic series. You can pick a used one up for a few hundred. Could be a way of experimenting with the feel before committing big bucks for a Pro Line model. 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I made a sort of Bo Diddley guitar out of an old photographic slide box and a Telecaster style neck that I had laying around. It was intended to be a chuck away slide guitar but it’s actually quite a nice guitar to play. Perhaps I’ll refine it a bit during the lockdown.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    On the subject of rectangular guitars, I always thought the one Simon Nichol played in Fairport Convention looked rather good

Looks like a bit of an ergnomic nightmare with the knobs on the top edge and as Simon himself says:
    "... it's still in the wardrobe and will probably stay there as it's really not that great a guitar to start with and not at all the style of guitar that suits the music we're playing right now. But as I always said when quizzed about it back then, it does have a very low cereal number and a very crisp sound..."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I always thought it sounded a bit boxy.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 260
    I made a sort of Bo Diddley guitar out of an old photographic slide box and a Telecaster style neck that I had laying around. It was intended to be a chuck away slide guitar but it’s actually quite a nice guitar to play. Perhaps I’ll refine it a bit during the lockdown.
    Can we see a photo of it? :)

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    edited April 2020
    I've had a brief go in a shop out of curiosity, and it wasn't quite as bad to play as I expected.

It's small (top to bottom) so I found it easier to keep the sharp top edge out of the way of my ribs than I do with, say, a Tele. And although a Tele or Strat style waist and bottom horn would always be preferable, the completely flat bottom edge lets the guitar sit better in the lap (for me) than the pinched waist and tiny horn on an LP or similar. It also gets points for no neck binding!

I vaguely recall that the HS Filtertrons were tweaked a couple of years after the guitar was introduced – someone else might be able to chime in with more info. At any rate the one I played sounded great.

Some eye candy…

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    This is a pretty representative clip: