Am I being a snob...!?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• alexmitchell17alexmitchell17 Frets: 32
    edited April 2020
    To quote one of the responses someone said "a good guitar is a good guitar". I've heard great things about the CVs and I think the best thing to do is to go to a guitar store after this lock down has ended and play a couple of CVs (I imagine one of the downsides to them would be consistency) and compare them to the guitars with the "better name".
    My personal experience with this sort of thing was I had an epiphone les Paul tribute plus 60s (pretty sure the top of the range epiphone Les Paul) which was great but I always thought its not a real Gibson so I sold it and bought the "real thing" is it better? A bit, mainly in the sound but I think I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in a band context, visually the Gibson is nicer but not so much that its worth double the price (even more than double new!). 
    I like someone's idea of remove the squire name and get a fender decal 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1004
    robgilmo said:
    What if you sand the logo off, or put some masking tape over it? You could even write Fender on the tape, or Gibson, or solid 18 carrot gold, or what ever you want really. 
    Interesting.   I don’t mind the Fender/Squire logo but I do want the headstock shape.  
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Don't get a maple/roasted maple board just because they're cheap - get want you want ! Squire/Fender badge is less important. 

As mentioned ^^^^ look for MIM/MIJ models
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057
    I had a CV Strat from somewhere around the first run. It was fab, though I agree with someone above that the neck finish was too thick. I spent ages and a fortune gradually 'upgrading' it: new pickups (from a USA Standard), a steel trem block (this made a huge difference actually), fully shielded the cavity with the foil shit. 

Then I sold it, making a huge loss, because it still didn't have a big fat Fender on the headstock.

My name is Jules 'McToot' Longhurst and I am a snob. 

And a complete prat.   

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    Fender Strats MIM arnt all that either, although I did quite like mine, but the older ones had small blocks, vintage frets , pants pick ups and the build quality wasn't that great, my Squier was without a doubt better built than my 94 Strat. However the Strat was very light, which made it feel flimsy anyway.

At the time the Strat was built the factory had just burned down and they also made Squiers at that factory too, so there probably wasn't a lot of difference between a MIM Strat and a MIM Squier, apparently they used a lot of bits from the US factory which was only 100 miles away.

For 250 quid though it was a cheap but decent for the money, would I have another one from that era? In a heartbeat.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    DaevidJ said:
    Perhaps it is due to owning a couple of the more expensive guitars that I would actually consider buying a squier... in this instance a Bass VI. That name does not bother me as it has a heritage that I have no issue with. Plus for the price it is a relative steal!
    A bass guitar, with a trem! What could possibly go wrong? 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1356
    I had classic vibe custom tele bought for £200 S/H
    A few months later i bought a baja tele on the idea that i was going to sell the classic vibe and get a bit money back off the baja.
    But ....the classic vibe beat it hands down, it was supposed to be the other way round .
    A year later another baja came up at a great price , bought it ,guess what ? same again ,so the 2nd baja went .
    I have found the natural and white classic vibes great but not so good, but the custom teles are fantastic.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16614
    I play a Mexican Brad Paisley Tele
    I have had every Custom shop Tele /Nocaster  and plenty of them etc etc 
    The Brad Paisley absolutely kills any of them......it's now the only one I have for a very good reason
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    Dominic said:
    I play a Mexican Brad Paisley Tele
    I have had every Custom shop Tele /Nocaster  and plenty of them etc etc 
    The Brad Paisley absolutely kills any of them......it's now the only one I have for a very good reason
    Recently snagged one of these.  It's amazing.