Restringing/cleaning an Ibanez with Edge Zero tremolo w/ ZPS3?

Hello,

Any Ibanez players have suggestions on restringing and cleaning?  On non-Floyd guitars I usually remove all of the strings but, perhaps wisely, I'm hesitant to do it with this.  But I'd like to give the fretboard and the hardware a good clean.

A sock in the Trem cavity?

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It is easier to change strings one at a time if your setup is already exactly as you want it - and it is easy enough to clean the board with lemon oil on a cloth a bit at a time.

If however you do want to remove all the strings just stick something of the correct thickness between the trem block and body - I have used a pile of picks taped together but you can use wood, coins etc. whatever is solid and of the right size that you have around.

I've used that method when changing gauge or from standard tuning to Eb tuning and it makes it a much quicker process - just restring it and then a couple of turns of the screws to adjust the claw after.

• I've used that method when changing gauge or from standard tuning to Eb tuning and it makes it a much quicker process - just restring it and then a couple of turns of the screws to adjust the claw after.
    Well, it's in Eb, and I'll tune it up to E.  Will that make much difference to setup?  Thanks!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    I use a block of hard foam under the trem and it’s worked fine over the years 

• I've used that method when changing gauge or from standard tuning to Eb tuning and it makes it a much quicker process - just restring it and then a couple of turns of the screws to adjust the claw after.
    Well, it's in Eb, and I'll tune it up to E.  Will that make much difference to setup?  Thanks!
    Going from Eb to E will definitely need a turn our two of the claw screws, otherwise the bridge will be angled forward 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Even if you change the gauge to give a similar tension overall a small adjustment of the claw will normally be necessary. 

Going from Eb to E will definitely need a turn our two of the claw screws, otherwise the bridge will be angled forward 
    It actually already is a bit forward.  Do I need to do anything with these bits on the outside?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I take it you have seen this video from Ibanez themselves?

The Edge Zero is a bit different to most Ibanez trems - the ZPS system is like a backstop/stabiliser.

If your guitar is the most recent one it is this:

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/ZPS3

The nearest I have is an Edge Zero II on a JEM - this variant can be used with or without the ZPS (I have a JEM with that system that came without). In your situation I would probably remove it - set the system up as per a normal floating trem and then add it back after if you want that feature. 

There are pros and cons to a stabiliser in terms of how the system feels to use and behaves. The idea is to help return to pitch and stability, some also like the effect when playing double stop or unison bends being more like a fixed bridge.

The downside is the stiffer feel and it may be harder for subtle effects. A good double locking system stays in tune well without one.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4261
    edited April 2020
    ^ everything @MelodicLydian said. I've never actually used one of those before tbh; all my Floyd Rose guitars have been set up free floating...

Regarding the bridge being forward though, double check that. I usually set mine up so the base plate is parallel to the guitar body; I'm not sure but I think some of the Ibanez bridges have a wedge-shaped baseplate, so they look like they're pulled forward when they're not

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Thanks, guys. Actually just watched that video and it has/had ZPS3 - it’s in the case. I’ve set it so it’s flat in line with the body using the thumb wheel. The +/- bar is now quite close to end of minus. I presume the ZPS3 will easily refit. 

Now to try a string change...

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Good luck! :)

@skullfunkerry - I have only hybrid 9's - be okay?

My band, Red For Dissent
    @skullfunkerry - I have only hybrid 9's - be okay?
    Should be fine. If you're going to change from Eb to E you'll need to re-adjust the springs again anyway :)