Audio Kitchen - The Big Trees Review - A Journey Of Autumnal Joy...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304
    edited May 2020
    Pulled the trigger on one of these recently. Got to plug it in properly this evening.

As an amp it does the low volume tube break up really well, but is still probably too loud for domestic situations. Plugged into a 1x12 it can get a good clean sound at just above conversation level, when you start pushing the gain it gets beyond what would be acceptable for late night playing in most situations. That said, it would be ideal for getting a good overdriven sound in live situations where masses of volume are not required or desired.

My solution to keeping the volume under control has been to plug the line out from the BT into the aux in of my trusty Vox DA5 and use that as the power amp and speaker - not as satisfying as a 1x12, but nonetheless great tube feel/exploding amp experience possible at whisper quiet volumes.

Otherwise, EQ is very well voiced, the dirt control is genius and the line output levels are very easy to balance.

Haven’t used it in front of another amp, and my Helix is currently on loan, though I’m sure it can be made to integrate into a hybrid set up very nicely.

And it’s super portable. I had a phase of using full size amps and an attenuator for home practice, and asides from it being still being too loud, it didn’t sound as good as this does.

The drive sounds are in sort Tweed/earlier Marshall territory. I had a jam along to some early Tool with a baritone Jazzmaster and the gain profile was not dissimilar. Though I think it would equally do a Neil Young kind of thing 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Credibility was lost for me with the infamous Blues Cube better than Carr Rambler thread
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    Credibility was lost for me with the infamous Blues Cube better than Carr Rambler thread
    Not better, but could produce Rambler sounds...

I’ll look forward to your reviews and accompanying effort ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Ok here goes!

Omg it's amazing... the best thing i ever heard 

Followed by an appearance in the clasdifieds within 3 days ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited May 2020
    Ok here goes!

Omg it's amazing... the best thing i ever heard 

Followed by an appearance in the classifieds within 3 days ....at a price consistently and considerably less than purchase price...
    FTFY.

For accuracy...if we're playing silly buggers. 

You can have the spelling correction gratis. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Wazmeister, do you still own this? What are your thoughts on this versus the Chase bliss? I’m currently demoing the preamp 2 vs the flying squirrel. Interesting times...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Wazmeister was it yours I spotted on eBay yesterday? Did it sell that quickly? Short honeymoon!
    No mate, that wasn't mine !

ruoma said:
    Hi @Wazmeister, do you still own this? What are your thoughts on this versus the Chase bliss? I’m currently demoing the preamp 2 vs the flying squirrel. Interesting times...
    Thats a really hard question to answer !

The Big Trees is more of an amp, and is used best imho, outside of a pedal board.

The CBAP can naturally fit on a board, and operates more pedal-like.

Both are superior tone shapers though, and would be invaluable in a studio set-up.
    edited November 2021
    Well over a year later, and I'm back in the saddle.

Well pleased. New one arrived today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've calmed down. Keeping mine now! 

What are you playing it through Waz? 
  • Well over a year later, and I'm back in the saddle.

Well pleased. New one arrived today.
    You should have held on to the Waza Air headphones! The Big Trees line out with the Waza for speaker emulation is killer
  • To be fair, I've only had about an hour with TBT in this set up. 

Volume is good - too loud for a house cranked... which makes it 'just right'.

Just started experimenting with the TBT into the mixer and direct into the cab. Very good thus far !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom