Am I an anti-guitarist?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited May 2020
    AlexC said:
    Leaving aside Musical likes and dislikes for a moment - if I can just pick up on half of the OP.
    With regards to GAS there’s an elephant in the room (on TFB in general, I dare say) and that is...
    Money!
    I'm astonished at the pro level gear and £400 fuzz boxes that folk have and swap out on a regular basis for home playing. All of my gear, including guitars, are either presents or what I can afford. Simple as. And through gigging it’s all paid for itself several times over.
    But I can’t have GAS for the simple reason that if it’s paying the food shop or the utility bills then there’s no contest.
    At the moment all I really want to complete my set up is a phaser pedal. But I can’t afford one. Because I know £50 is diddly squat to many, but to others it isn’t.
    Hope I’m not coming across as a whinger... Just stating a fact. GAS is only a thing if you can afford it is all I’m saying.
    Same for me. I'm more of a looker than a buyer! Thrill of the chase and all that I think. At the minute I really really want a Les Paul but not prepared to sell my SG for one (yet) - keep having bills that set things back and not sure I want to settle for an Epiphone! Whilst I know it's a good guitar and probably 90% the same as a Gibson or MIJ copy, there's little things that would bug me like the feel of the thick poly finish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I'm not your typical player, I don't like metal, alt rock, Indi, bloos, widdly widdly, most jazz and rapp/ modern produced muzik. 
    But I still find lots of pop, funk, country, classic rock, MOR rock  etc. To listen to and more importantly gig regularly enough to be content.
    Gear wise I was more into PA and lights for years so only has a couple of guitars and the same amp for decades (still got it). 
    Horses for courses. Plough your own furrow.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    You describe much of the way I feel, at times , if it's any help. I have been making my living from music ( predominantly guitar ) for the last xx years. It bores me to death, but just now and then it's the best thing on the planet. If the guitar happens to be your paint brush, use it to make something interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    I buy expensive pedals not because I can afford them, but because it is a disease. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    AlexC said:
    Leaving aside Musical likes and dislikes for a moment - if I can just pick up on half of the OP.
    With regards to GAS there’s an elephant in the room (on TFB in general, I dare say) and that is...
    Money!

This is a valid observation but circumstances are a key factor. They also change for better or worse. Gear gets bought and gear gets sold. Threads often ask for gear lists. I will state what I have ,not that in the mid 80s i had one bass borrowed amps and could only afford a kebab as an anniversary dinner. 

This is not me having a go, maybe my having more gear than a shop is offensive to people with minimal gear (and i apologise if it appears boastful), but I have been there and I maybe there again in the future.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited May 2020
    rico said:
    Odd question I know but let me explain. Over the past few years I have come to the realisation that I consider myself pretty atypical in terms of my preferences in all things to do with guitar gear and music. Expensive and boutique gear just doesn't excite me one bit and any sort of widdly widdly soloing turns me right off, likewise anything to do with 'blues'. I say that in inverted commas because proper blues standards are a wonderful thing but the constant churn of 'blues rock' or modern 'classic' rock does my head in. Joe B, Matt Schofield etc etc are all great players no doubt but I find them so dull. Listen to anything on the likes of Planet Rock radio and its all the bloody same.

In terms of gear, there are some highly expensive and shiny pieces of equipment that one can buy but I can honestly say that it leaves me cold. It's not out of jealousy before you ask. For me, guitars are very much a tool and yes I have some idiosyncrasies when it comes to choosing gear but I prefer the plainer end of things whereas perhaps your typical gear fetishist ('plays like butter', 'lovely fiddle' etc etc) wouldn't be seen dead with a 20 year old plain black LP studio. I guess I have the underdog attitude to gear. There hasn't been a single bit of gear launched in the last five years that has made me think 'ooh, I really like/need/want that' (OK that's not quite true, some fuzz pedals get me going).

Am I alone in my thinking?

TL;DR: I don't like many of the things your typical guitarist would. 

nah, you're not weird. Half of the guitarists on the planet share your opinion. The other half is supporting the music you dislike.
    Now what would be atypical: a guitarist that truly loves every genres. Men can't do that generally

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 203
    OP - I could not have said it better myself. Quilted maple, flashy tops. A beat-up single pickup guitar, a cable and an amp and I'm happy.

Also 100% agree regarding what you said about widdly wanking solos and 'blues'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Thinking about this posting, I had a look at my vast CD collection and wondering what to play today/next - I picked Tom Petty - Still a guitar based band, but certainly tune first with some tasteful fills by Mike Campbell

In many ways Fleetwood Mac and Rumours is the epitome of a great album - I use this example mainly as it is so well known - But 100% tune based with some tasteful licks when required which on the likes of Go Your Own Way just adds good tension to the song

Yet equally I have a shed load of guitar based albums - The likes of Gary Moore and SRV and I can go weeks, even months without playing them - Then play one SRV track and it reminds me of why I was first hooked on him when I first came across him in the 80's - I don't feel I need to listen to such songs all the time - But great to go back to them when I need/want to

Good that we don't all like the same thing - Even better if you can delve in/out as required and experience other flavours

• althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited May 2020
    the GAS, Blues rock. solo loving type is the conservatives
    the hipster, noisy, don't like what others like, indie brooder is the liberals.

Sorted

Materialism VS Narcissism. Pick your team 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom