What do you reckon to this? Lowden Electric

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    Blander than a bland thing. Zzzzzz...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    "Phillips Cleartone Wide Body Conversion"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited May 2020
    rossi said:
    Looks good to me .functional . .I liked Taylor solid bodies by the way ,.They should have sold better and I should have bought one when it was  being flogged off at 600 quid.
    I agree about the Taylor electrics - the upmarket one they did was a really nice looking guitar - but when I actually played a couple I changed my mind.

Their fingerboard radius was too flat, the fingerboard edges were too sharp - in short it didn’t really feel like an electric guitar. 

The Lowden just looks ‘wrong’. There is such a wide choice of great guitars these days, I just can’t see that the market ‘needs’ these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    Sync said:
    That looks like the sort of guitar you feel bonding with your soul when you play it.

In the right hands, it could create magic. 
    bet you believe in mojo, bell like tones and wouldn't ever  play a PRS  because it's too  "clinical" :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 557
    Vaguely reminiscent of a Gordon Smith I didn't buy a long time ago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Looking at the website - https://www.lowdenguitars.com/gl10 - they do actually do semi-hollow and chambered versions. They still have uninspiring hardware, but at least they’re available with standard humbuckers so you could put something much more interesting in.

The one with the streaky black top and P90s almost looks good. A few more inspiring non-traditional woods and pickup types and they might not seem quite so much like a woodwork teacher’s idea of an electric guitar...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    It would be much better balanced as a design if the upper section by the switch was larger and more rounded more like a classic Gibson outline. 

Also if it came in colours rather than coffee table finishes. But it’s still super-boring
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 498
    I like it. Price is waaaay to high for me tho. Would probably think about it if a half price sale but that’s too much for me
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Anyone with business sense whatsoever designing and marketing a guitar like this should be aware of the Taylor offerings.

If they can be fucked, they should switch on a computer and take a look at Collings' website too!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    I bet it would look stunning at night in a pitch black room.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    I love how these are camouflaged against the backdrop.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    rossi said:
    Looks good to me .functional . .I liked Taylor solid bodies by the way ,.They should have sold better and I should have bought one when it was  being flogged off at 600 quid.
    I agree about the Taylor electrics - the upmarket one they did was a really nice looking guitar - but when I actually played a couple I changed my mind.

Their fingerboard radius was too flat, the fingerboard edges were too sharp - in short it didn’t really feel like an electric guitar. 

It just goes to show different experiences .The two Taylors I tried out both had fine fingerboards for me and perfect frets ,no sharp edges.I prefer a flattish 12 radius type board .Its taken me about 60 years to arrive at this conclusion as I stopped for 30 years  and couldnt afford to be fussy way back when but I got there in the end.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106

The body shape reminds me a little of the Larrivee R4 - another electric from a primarily acoustic manufacturer, but I think they had a better (or perhaps more traditional) idea of what electric guitars are all about.

It's still an ugly shape but it does kind of appeal to me as a LP alternative - it could be an optical illusion but the guitar looks small, which suits me.

Larrivee R4 2009 Dark Red  Reverb

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Philly_Q said:

The body shape reminds me a little of the Larrivee R4 - another electric from a primarily acoustic manufacturer, but I think they had a better (or perhaps more traditional) idea of what electric guitars are all about.

It's still an ugly shape but it does kind of appeal to me as a LP alternative - it could be an optical illusion but the guitar looks small, which suits me.

What's the point? It's just a very ugly Les Paul copy, with a couple of bits nicked from the PRS Singlecut.

If they want to get into electric guitars, acoustic guitar makers shouldn't be trying to just copy traditional electric guitar designs - the market for those is already saturated, even more than acoustic guitars are.

I would start by making all of them at least semi-hollow, probably with active pickups and acoustic pickup options - that's where the future is for non-rock, and even some rock, electric guitar players.

Taylor got it right with the T5 - not necessarily the exact guitar (which I tried and didn't like), but the overall concept.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    Times don't change. Surprise. surprise!! I posted a Thread on this guitar when it was first released, and it got a lot of negative comment on here. I like the look of it, though I've never had an opportunity to try one out.
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 164
    I spent 2 hours on a wet cold morning in Matchetts Music in December in Belfast playing this guitar while waiting for my daughter to get a visa from the American Embassy. It might have been that it was a nice warm place to be but it was one of the best guitars I've ever picked up. I put it through a Fender 65 Princeton with no pedals straight in. The Peaches video isn't helpful because it's going through so many pedals it tells you nothing. It was really well balanced with a very comfortable neck and instantly felt right.  Great natural sustain with a warm rich tone and I didn't want to put it down.  I made a mental note that if I was daft enough to get yet another expensive guitar this would be way up on my list. I agree it looks a bit Flintstoney but I think it would grow on you.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    How about some white binding to balance out the white P90 covers. The covers sort of dominate the rest of the guitar I think, although that might be less pronounced when the rest of the guitar is not effectively camouflaged
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    I can't decide whether it's a sixth former's project, or more likely, an electric guitar from someone who doesn't even LIKE electric guitars, or at least one who doesn't "get it'.

Nobody who spent their teenage years listening to electric guitar music while surrounded by posters of their heroes would come up with that shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Sounds quite good in the hands of @chrisv

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    Looks like its got special needs.