Maple fretboard finish problem

What's Hot
I have a chance to swap a guitar with a friend but I have spotted an issue with the finish maybe lifting from the fretboard, it is milky in quite big areas. My tele has this but to a much lesser extent and is only visible over the dots but here it is much more pronounced (is that the right word?). So should I be concerned or is this something that if I don't mind the looks is nothing to worry about?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    Looks like it’s delaminating.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    This is typical of 90s/early 2000s Fenders.  Eventually the finish will flake off in sharp shards.

It's sometimes possible to repair using super glue if you can wick it under the finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Best avoided then?
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    The only maple board strat I have did that as Mr Robinson described. I scraped it of and sprayed it with satin lacquer, I was doing a refret as well. It has been okay since though in retrospect I should have taken the old lacquer off completely. You live and learn eh.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 677
    I would avoid as it's only going to get worse! Also tell him to avoid cleaning the frets with brasso or polish as it'll go under the flakes and look awful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    This is typical of 90s/early 2000s Fenders.  Eventually the finish will flake off in sharp shards.

It's sometimes possible to repair using super glue if you can wick it under the finish.
    I've either done similar - and/or cut back with wet n dry (various grades) until so smooth you can't feel the edges - It will probably 'delaminate' again, but you can repeat if required - Personally, if done well you can make it feel more 'played in' - But as part of  anew transaction the price needs to be in your favour - It is not detrimental to the guitar as such as it is only a 'top coat' lacquer and in all honesty it is better without any IMO - The guitar will still do the same job without it
  • Melvy_wMelvy_w Frets: 1
    I had the same thing happen to a '04 Mexican Strat. Didn't really affect playability, but more would flake off during heavy playing and bends. 

I ended up taking the finish off and attempting a DIY re-fret (major regrets!). In hindsight I wish I'd kept the finish as in hindsight I think it was starting to look better the more worn in got. 

Pictures are pre-refret :cold_sweat: 

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    Tbf, the delaminating top coat would make refinishing it easier 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Another win for the nitro finish  ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    “They all do that, sir.” Usually along one edge. I reckon it had something to do with how the necks were hung in the finish drying phase. Wherever the finish pools up to become fractionally thicker is where it eventually comes adrift.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    It's gonna peel off at some point, and cut some fingers when it does

When it's on the edge it can just be softened off, but I would strip this one for sure
  • adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
    Depends on how much you like the guitar, I have it on my 2004/2005 USA Standard Strat which I have had since new in 2006 and it did't get worse..... Until a guitar tech decided to scrape off the the lifting finish on the fret markers without asking...

I have played the crap of my Strat which saw me though 3 years of music collage playing it at least 8 hours a day, plus 2 - 3 gigs per week for countless years and it is still it good shape for the amount of action it's seen. If it was a nitro finish I could only imagine it how good it would look now!

I guess the main thing I would say if you're not planning to keep it for too long don't bother as It might be a pain to get shot of later on. If it's a keeper, worse case it might need a refin at some point. 

• Thanks all, I am going to steer clear. there are plenty more fish in the sea  =)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Thanks all, I am going to steer clear. there are plenty more fish in the sea  =)
    Maybe it's the saltwater that's doing the damage
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom