Recommend me a Les Paul Custom with a slim neck

What's Hot
slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
edited May 2020 in Guitar
Hi all,

I'm currently selling my Classic (which plays wonderfully) to fund my dream guitar, an ebony Les Paul Custom. I prefer a slim neck, which seems to be a bit of a rarity on the Custom, and ebony fretboard. I don't want to spend more than £2.5k really, but could stretch to £3k for something really special.

In canvassing my options, I've identified the following guitars that would fit the bill:
  • 87 - 89 Custom Lite (rare as hell now, but played a friend's and it was absolutely killer)
  • 70s Norlin, noting that some have the slim necks
  • 07 - 08 Custom Classic
  • I'm thinking there may be some 68 RIs that have slim necks?
My questions are -

a) is there anything else I could be looking out for (my ideal neck is something between the '59 rounded that my 1993 Studio had, and a 60s slim which my current Classic has)?
b) Which is more likely to be a high quality player's guitar, noting that I'll likely be buying something online without a play test?

Thanks in advance -
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1193
    Greco EGC57-60, you're welcome.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    Hi all, I'm currently selling my Classic (which plays wonderfully) to fund my dream guitar, an ebony Les Paul Custom. I prefer a slim neck which seems to be a bit of a rarity on the Custom. I don't want to spend more than £2.5k really, but could stretch to £3k for something really special.

In canvassing my options, I've identified the following guitars that would fit the bill:

I thought that most Customs had slim necks, apart from the 57 and 68 custom shop reissues?

By the way, I don’t think much of your list of guitars that would fit the bill!  ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    Apparently I managed to hit post halfway through typing out that list!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    The ESP eclipse series are reported to be better quality and have slim necks.  There's a few options.

Budget 
    https://www.espguitars.com/products/21014-ec-1000t?category_id=1963292-ec-series

Fancy
    https://www.espguitars.com/products/9984-e-ii-eclipse-db-vb?category_id=1963524-eclipse-series-guitars-3

I'd love a esp one day. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited May 2020
    +1 for ESP Eclipse if you don't mind the looks. They do an LTD EC1000 in black/gold like a Custom with Dimarzio 36th Anni pickups, I really want one. Annoyingly the black one doesn't have the much improved neck heel of that honeyburst Fluence one. I've played LTD and Gibson side by side and felt like the LTD was pretty similar in feel, certainly didn't feel like the Gibson was worth all that extra money. I prefer the modern refinements and improved design too - the neck heel is way better and the control layout is great if like me you never bother with tone knobs.

If you like silverbursts (well, more like an aged green silverburst), the Bill Kelliher signature LTD looks about as close to perfect as it gets to me - 22 frets, 12" radius, full thickness body, ebony board, smooth neck heel, 1 vol 1 tone (I'd run it 2 vol no tone). Andertons have it on sale right now too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    Had an ESP Eclipse and they have a thin U-shape which is very thin and I currently own a '77 black Custom which has a thin neck. Just the Custom has a neck closer to my old LP Classic.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited May 2020
    If you are chasing a dream guitar, surely it has to be a Gibson. Otherwise you may as well stay with your current LP.

Also again if chasing dreams you’d have to rule the classic out as it’s got a rosewood fingerboard and the lite due to its shallow body.

The dream must be a full fat custom with ebony fingerboard - which rules out a lot of the post 2011 ones that are richlite.

I’m not saying any of the other options aren’t as good - they might be better. My thought process here is you’ve got a specific custom spec to chase. If you compromise on any of it you may as well keep your current wonderful playing LP classic? 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Right, that's kinda of why I'm veering towards just ponying up the cash for an early 70s LPC, to get the vibe/sound and thinner profile... no compromise.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    PRS Tremonti - stoptail - arguably better QC, 60's esque neck, PRS take on Marks LP Custom ...

I have the  Trem version and its an excellent rock guitar - I use a LP Classic with Suhr Aldrich pu's as a backup ..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    edited May 2020
    From outside the box and at the risk of being stuck with a pitchfork, why not get the neck on your classic reprofiled and an ebony board fitted? 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
    My 1990 one has a slim neck .
    Quick google search shows most 80s-90s customs have the rounded 59 (like my 93 studio used to have?) so I guess yours is slim by exception... or I hope so as I watched an 89 come and go on our local gumtree last week.
    Have you seen this one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143593999454

It’s not cheap but looks in good nick - as does the case.
    yep been e-mailing the seller, it's a kalamazoo serial as well so may be a goer
    If it was a ‘78 I’d be having a mental wrestle with myself about buying it! At the right price...
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    My epiphone felt quite slim , 60s slim taper it was a 2016 custom pro.
      Ltd eclipse are always good
    Iamnobody said:
    If it was a ‘78 I’d be having a mental wrestle with myself about buying it! At the right price...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163873086653?ul_noapp=true
    edited May 2020
    Iamnobody said:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163873086653?ul_noapp=true
    Thanks but it’s way overpriced. That’s in my mind of course - when I started looking at these a few years ago you could snag well played late ‘78 customs for ~ £1600-2k.

I haven’t moved on much from that! And it’s a silly year of birth idea that I know deep down is lunacy...

I’d surrender my better judgement for a bargain custom but really it’s a ‘78 pro deluxe with ebony board and P90s or a ‘78 Rick 330. Thankfully both are like rocking horse shit to find so my bank account/credit card can relax.

Good luck with your hunt. Not being tied down to a year opens up some nice options.
    Right, I noticed far lower prices in older threads discussing this stuff as well. I'm currently looking at a 72 (£3000), 76 (£2800) and 79 (£2000) but each has its downsides (whether non-original hardware or neck breaks etc).
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    Quick google search shows most 80s-90s customs have the rounded 59 (like my 93 studio used to have?) so I guess yours is slim by exception... or I hope so as I watched an 89 come and go on our local gumtree last week.
    Not sure where that info came from but a 59 is a big neck and the only Customs I’m aware of that had big necks were the 57 and 68 reissues. The normal production ones (non-Historic, non-Custom Shop) had slim necks I believe.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/