bandsaw recommendations ?

What's Hot
Hi everyone 

looking for recommendations on decent quality bandsaws I can upgrade to from my cheapo Aldi bandsaw which has got me through 2 builds but is driving me nuts with its shaking and crappy table/fence. 

Mainly for cutting out blanks and other bits of guitar work. Don't need to do any resawing (though that would be nice eventually )    Not anything huge as it has to go into the 10 x 8 shed/workshop and ideally would be bench top ( floor space is really a a premium now ) 

Budget probably £500-600. 

Any thoughts ? 

cheers
Pete

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    If it’s just blanks and templates then you could consider a jig saw or a large scroll saw.  I’ve used both. Whereas I’d like a large bandsaw I don’t have the space, nor a big enough power supply cable.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 511
    edited May 2020
    Is a Scheppach Basato too big? 

Edit: sorry I thought this one I mentioned was bench mountable. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    I still use a very basic old Clarke bandsaw which was already second hand before I had it.  

The thickest you might need for most building (excluding resawing) is about 4". Mine does that on mahogany just fine, but needs to be well setup with a fresh blade if I'm trying it on maple 

I would love a bigger/better saw, but it's managed to do everything I need it to for at least 15 years.   

I actually have a spare similar model anyone can have if they can collect from Burton.  It's tires needed replacing but I think I have those too, or can point you in the right direction.  It's not quite as sturdy as the older model, but free to a good home
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    @WezV   that’s a fantastic offer and I would normally jump in the car and drive to you , but at the moment it’s probably not an option I can take up.  Great offer for someone close by though 

thanks @GSPBASSES ; 
    - do you have experience of that saw ? 

that Axminster model ac1950b seems to get very good reviews , probably has enough grunt for what I need and will fit nicely in the shed.  Also within budget so I could buy some extra blades and mitre fence too.      The larger model is too big - though I'd love a bandsaw with an 8" depth of cut !  
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    No, I haven’t got experience of that particular bandsaw but I have seen it and it looks exceedingly well-made. I have one of their industrial bandsaws that is excellent.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Thanks.   It looks like a good bet.   

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I thought this was going to be about the breakup of a band...
    Well our lead singer told Woody to get knotted so he split.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    cheers @Roland ;
    I will probably bite the bullet and order one this week.  Knowing how impatient I am probably just too late to cut the Tele bodies I have started making at the mo ! 
    edited May 2020
    Well for anyone looking food a good quality hobbyist bandsaw I can recommend the Axminster 1950b I just set mine up yesterday and tweaked everything this morning to do some test cutting.  First cut successfully did 1.5mm veneer strip about 3ft long off some 2” thick mahogany.  Fully even all along the length.  So long as it stands up to regular (ab)use it’s going to be a good addition to the shed workshop.   Cost with accessories was under 350 quid.   

Just done the MDF body template for my Tele build and it was a joy after the Aldi bandsaw. 

• thornlvthornlv Frets: 1
    You can make it even more capable by replacing the stock blade with something from tuffsaws.co.uk. just drop them an email with your requirements and make/model and they will recommend the required blades for the job. I did, with a Record Power bs250, now cuts veneers like butter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    justbandsawblades.co.uk aren't bad either ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    PeteC said:
    Well for anyone looking food a good quality hobbyist bandsaw I can recommend the Axminster 1950b I just set mine up yesterday and tweaked everything this morning to do some test cutting.  First cut successfully did 1.5mm veneer strip about 3ft long off some 2” thick mahogany.  Fully even all along the length.  So long as it stands up to regular (ab)use it’s going to be a good addition to the shed workshop.   Cost with accessories was under 350 quid.   

Just done the MDF body template for my Tele build and it was a joy after the Aldi bandsaw. 

Thanks for your insight Pete…

Ive just ordered the 1950B; i also bought a Titan last week, but the fence isnt good Enough.

Love the vidEo support from Axminster.
    Good to hear.   Mine has performed well since i bought it.  Spare blades from Tuffsaws are good.  I can recommend  the 1/4 6tpi carbon premium
    blade  for tight curves and template making.  
    Just using mine tonight on some new LP templates I am making.   

• davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    edited October 2022
    I have a Ryobi which is identical to the Titan and yes. the fence is rubbish! The rest is pretty good.
    Even the Axminster fence is a bit limited really.  Trying to use a fence to guide a straight long cut is not easy, blades tend to wander easily - I plan on making one of the roller guides to use instead, to get straight cuts on taller stock. There's some good info on YouTube on how to do this.