SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Vocal Reflection Filter / Mic Isolation Shield

What's Hot
Looking to buy one of these on the cheap 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I've seen YouTube videos that claim they don't make any noticeable difference. Don't have one so can't say.

I draw curtains and sing towards window. A demo studio I recorded in built a teepee out of mic stands and duvets!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2435
    Yes you're much better off hanging up a few duvets.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes you're much better off hanging up a few duvets.
    Yup, this.

Or some gobos.
    I have a couple of GIK Gobos- they are available here:

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/freestand-acoustic-panel-gobo
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    How about some acoustic foam inside a cardboard box? I may have some lying about in the attic somewhere. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    I have the reflexion one.....looks cool but does very little....some localised panels or wall treatment I believe is better.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3721
    I had one but scrapped it.

Aside from not being very effective they are also heavy and tend to be unbalanced attached to a mic stand.  Mine toppled over and smashed a laptop keyboard (which fortunately I was able to repair).

As suggested, duvets are good.  Try moving the singer / mic around the room.  Facing into the room with duvets hung behind the singer can be quite effective.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    How about some acoustic foam inside a cardboard box? I may have some lying about in the attic somewhere. 
    I assume it will just sound like singing into a cardboard box. Only no reflections.
    I assume it will just sound like singing into a cardboard box. Only no reflections.
    Yes....like this..

https://isovoxbooth.com

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited May 2020
    here lieth the difference between fretboard and gearpage/gearslutz...

The latter - "Yeah what you need is a Filterboss 3000 which'll cost you 1000 dollars but you get what you pay for, and while you're at it, ditch your cheap nt1a and get yourself Neuman Dildotron 800 for vocals". 

The Fretboard - "Just hang up a few duvets.." 
  • oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 86
    And if you are using a cardioid microphone I suggest putting the duvets at the sides and behind you - the cardioid should have rejection at the rear anyway!
    edited May 2020

The latter - "Yeah what you need is a Filterboss 3000 which'll cost you 1000 dollars but you get what you pay for, and while you're at it, ditch your cheap nt1a and get yourself Neuman Dildotron 800 for vocals". 

Gearslutz presumes a professional focus though.
    If you are running a studio then a Filterboss/Dildotron recommendation is the right thing- if you asked me the question there I'd have a different answer.

I have provided a solution that is half way between the two solutions, which is a Gobo or two.

Here are mine, behind an amp I was recording:

You are looking about £200 for a pair, you could build them cheaper, just a wooden frame with rockwool in it wrapped in acoustic fabric.
    I've made them in the past for under £50 a panel.

edited May 2020
    octatonic said:

Gearslutz presumes a professional focus though.
    If you are running a studio then a Filterboss/Dildotron recommendation is the right thing- if you asked me the question there I'd have a different answer.

I have provided a solution that is half way between the two solutions, which is a Gobo or two.

Here are mine, behind an amp I was recording:

You are looking about £200 for a pair, you could build them cheaper, just a wooden frame with rockwool in it wrapped in acoustic fabric.
    I've made them in the past for under £50 a panel.

Yeah I was just messing around - it’s a good solution. I’ve been looking for some diy projects to undertake so I think I might have a go at building a few panels myself
    Worth doing- if you can screw two bits of wood together and can operate a staple gun without blinding yourself then it shouldn't be too much trouble.
    The pro ones always look better, at least better than when I make them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Worth doing- if you can screw two bits of wood together and can operate a staple gun without blinding yourself then it shouldn't be too much trouble.
    The pro ones always look better, at least better than when I make them.
    Currently hunting down materials for this. What exact specs do you recommend for the rockwool? 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 325
    edited May 2020
    Currently hunting down materials for this. What exact specs do you recommend for the rockwool? 
    10cm of light, fluffy Rockwool (or from another manufacturer) at the front with 10cm of more dense behind. The fluffy comes in rolls and the more dense Rockwool comes in batts. Put them in a frame to hold them together. Cover with a breathable fabric - breathable simply means one you can blow through, so damask and other tightly woven fabrics are out, but T-shirt material and hessian are ok.

Edit to add: there are places where you will find 2cm deep foam recommended. If you are holdimng a business meeting then that will help remove reverb from the meeting. For music and vocals we go down an extra 2-3 octaves and so that is why thick acoustic traps are necessary. Fcoustic oam isn't wrong so much as just stupidly expensive by the time you have bought enough to stack it 20cm deep.
    I’m about to make my own panels for wall mounting I’m going 1200x 400 , 50mm deep, Timber frame, 50mm acoustic rock wool slab, then  fabric cover.

im also doing one to hang from the ceiling, this will be 100mm deep.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited May 2020
    Would this one work, or should I be going for an RW3, RW45 etc.? I’m dead set on 50mm thickness, but there are a lot of varieties, and due to cost I don’t want to end up getting the wrong one. https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/rockwool-flexi-slab-acoustic-insulation-1-2m-x-600mm-x-50mm-8-64m2.html

Do you mind linking me to the one you’re buying?
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    Rw45 is the traditionally recommended, but my panels are 50mm thick wickes rockwool equivalent (covered in muslin fabric) and work fine when hung in the room corners to reduce low frequency modes. I then have open cell seating foam wrapped in a fabric design that I like to stop higher frequency and flutter echos. 
    I kept mine separate (rather than layered as some designs) to increase wall coverage. 
    Thick curtains are also surprisingly effective, given they have a diffuse surface profile. 
    But acoustics problems are usually about how much you want to achieve. 80% effective can be achieved at 20% of cost.