A New Journey

What's Hot
Hello good people,

So, after thinking things over an awful lot (got a bit more time for that now, eh?) i've decided it's time to get serious with this music thing.. 

I'd describe myself as an Intermediate-lower advanced level musician. I'm pretty proficient at fingerpicking and rhythm, play acoustic guitar and electric bass and i sing. Guitar for about 8 years and bass about 13. I'm 29. I say that level as i have never had any real formal lessons or training. Always been a garage/pub band type guy. Can't read music apart from tab and really have very little knowledge of theory, just a few basic bits. I've always shyed away from learning theory, happy making songs and jamming with friends or playing in a pub band etc. 

The thing is, i want music as my job. I am a true in and out music lover, and i couldnt be happier if i could make it my full time job. 
I know it'll be a gradual thing, but i'm ready for that. Weather it be teaching or gigging regularly, i want to do it. 

So my question is this - where do i start? 

I want to start putting in the practice and the hours like never before, but i've felt like i've been at a plateau for some years really. 
I should mention i have a toddler. So my practice time is at night mostly.  

Should i start getting 1 to 1 lessons? 
Should i start learning theory at home? (I worry this will kill me with boredom, or i'll lose focus)
Should i find an online course to get into? (any tips?) 
Should i do my grades? 
All of the above? if so - in what order?

Any tips or advice about pushing myself to the next level without losing concentration (short attention span, admittedly) would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Hope lockdown is treating you all well!

Max

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1123
    I'm a tutor and I get types like yourself a lot coming to me, ones who can already play and have been for a good number of years, but only sorta playing the stuff they find cool and little bits of everything. This means gaps in knowledge on basic stuff and unable to apply these skills to other areas of their playing. Also as they've played so long in their own habitat and their own way bad habits can develop and can be very hard to break. Many years can then be spent putting those right and re-learning the instrument (just something I've noticed)

To be a working musician you don't necessarily have to read music or do the training although it helps a bit! Guitarists who can sight-read and sing backing vocals tend to get work pretty easier than ones who can't.

1-2-1 lessons will no doubt help, with someone who can put a structured plan together to set you on your way to playing how you want to be, a good tutor should be able to devise the right material suited to yourself and your tastes going at the right pace and demonstrate well.

Theory is useful as well but only if you apply it to your instrument. 

Online courses can be good but only if you're quick at picking things and actually grasp the way they teach it. You can't get feedback or ask questions with an app and if you get lost then you're stuck.

Grades are good too but its not essential, though I do the RGT@LCM and Rockschool ones and it does provide good structure and gives you something to aim towards. Definitely good for seeing what kind of level you're at.

If I was in your position I'd maybe go for some 1-2-1 lessons to assess where you're at using the graded system as a guideline. Then find out where your weak areas are and try to work on those either by yourself or with a tutor (recommended).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EndlessDreamEndlessDream Frets: 2
    edited May 2020
    I'm a tutor and I get types like yourself a lot coming to me, ones who can already play and have been for a good number of years, but only sorta playing the stuff they find cool and little bits of everything. This means gaps in knowledge on basic stuff and unable to apply these skills to other areas of their playing. Also as they've played so long in their own habitat and their own way bad habits can develop and can be very hard to break. Many years can then be spent putting those right and re-learning the instrument (just something I've noticed)

To be a working musician you don't necessarily have to read music or do the training although it helps a bit! Guitarists who can sight-read and sing backing vocals tend to get work pretty easier than ones who can't.

1-2-1 lessons will no doubt help, with someone who can put a structured plan together to set you on your way to playing how you want to be, a good tutor should be able to devise the right material suited to yourself and your tastes going at the right pace and demonstrate well.

Theory is useful as well but only if you apply it to your instrument. 

Online courses can be good but only if you're quick at picking things and actually grasp the way they teach it. You can't get feedback or ask questions with an app and if you get lost then you're stuck.

Grades are good too but its not essential, though I do the RGT@LCM and Rockschool ones and it does provide good structure and gives you something to aim towards. Definitely good for seeing what kind of level you're at.

If I was in your position I'd maybe go for some 1-2-1 lessons to assess where you're at using the graded system as a guideline. Then find out where your weak areas are and try to work on those either by yourself or with a tutor (recommended).
    Thank you very much Lestrat. 

I know for certain i've picked up some bad habits - fret hand positioning etc. 

Hopefully i'm not too far gone in terms of breaking bad habits. I like to believe as i taught myself almost entirely, so i can re learn entirely.. Hopeful i know! D 

When this quarantine is over il be off to find lessons. In the meantime, i'm setting aside an hour or so at a time to practice structured parts, with a goal for the week. Just scales with a plectrum right now.. Never learned to use a pick. I'd like to have more variation than my fingerstyle and strumming with fingers. My nails have some most strange curves in them at times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1123
    I've seen learners not knowing basic stuff like rhythm subdivisions and knowing how long 2 bars are! But these are soon corrected and it just makes the learning process easier and quicker for advanced stuff.

I've taken a couple of guys who never used a pick either and playing with one well within a few months. I'm actually doing lessons now with a guy who predominantly played acoustic fingerstyle, open chord stuff writing simple tunes, we are now exploring the technical side to his playing scales/modes/arpeggios/fretboard knowledge theory all on electric. He's loving it right now!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom