Suggestions for books to read between lessons

Hi, any suggestions for good educational guitar books that are still useful and entertaining to read between lessons when you don’t have your guitar with you ie like during a commute?

Obviously this rules out any book which gives a detailed step by step guide on fingering, chords, etc. but I’m looking for more of a general overview/ tips and tricks / motivational / things to think about before your next lesson type book which is still a good useful read without having a guitar in front of you to practice on. 

Basically something that will help me become a better guitar player mentally without having the guitar in front of me to practice on. 

Does any such book exist? Not interested in biographies. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 197
    If such a book doesn't exist, maybe it's time someone made one as that is a fantastic idea.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    You might like Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo. I know people who really found it inspirational.

Then again I also know people who thought it was hippy bollocks (I am in this latter group) - so, you know, ymmv
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    What sort of stuff do you play?

Nachmanovitch - Improvisation in Life and Art is good if you're into improvisation/jazz as is Kenny Werner - Effortless Mastery.

Everyone should read Stomping the Blues by Albert Murray.

The Mick Goodrick - Advancing Guitarist has a fair bit of text
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Ted Greene- Chord chemistry. A handbook for life in terms of unlocking the huge harmonic capabilities of the guitar. I have had a copy for about 35 years and it is only my lack ability to fully interpret every page that keeps me going back ( and I did study music ). Some would say that it is geared toward jazz, but only because it's about the whole fretboard as a lateral rather than linear opportunity for expression. It's been around for a long time, but so has music  :)
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I came across author Josh Turknett when I took up the banjo a few years ago, besides being a great player he has some medical credentials and has published a book that can apply to students of any instrument.  His medical area deals with the brain and it's analytic workings.  The title is "The Laws of Brainjo" subtitled "The Art & Science of Molding a Musical Mind".  While banjo is his instrument he doesn't dwell on that one instrument and outlines several concepts of how the brain maps out patterns, etc., and has a lot of great insights about how to approach the learning process.  I actually can relate to some of his ideas, I used several on my own when I first took up guitar.   My only critique is there are a few grammar flubs that a good editor probably would have caught, but that doesn't interfere with the info.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• danowensdanowens Frets: 28
    How about stuff like Michael Dregni's historical books on Gypsy Jazz, Mark Levine's 'Jazz Theory', Derek Bailey's 'Improvisation' (very heavy) or Rawlins' 'Jazzology'.