Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Shame (I say, as I refresh their clearance section every 30 seconds)
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14544
    tFB Trader
    I had heard rumours about the time of your posting - Heard chatter after and to be honest there had been chat amongst some section of the trade for many months - As always a shame for those who will loose their jobs and the unpaid suppliers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24859
    Sad news when this happens to any business - but with Dawsons it’s seemed like an inevitability for a long time. 
  • As always a shame for those who will lose their jobs and the unpaid suppliers
    It's the guys in the stores I'm sorry for most.  As for the suppliers, the smart ones have already been into the shops and warehouse and taken what they were owed, hence the reason certain manufacturers started disappearing from their website.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5457
    Looks like their website is still taking orders - not impossible during an administration but it should be way more clearly posted what state the company is in!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    "Rick Harrison and Neil Gostelow from KPMG’s Restructuring practice have been appointed joint administrators to Dawsons Music"

Surely a different Rick Harrison?
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11487
    "Rick Harrison and Neil Gostelow from KPMG’s Restructuring practice have been appointed joint administrators to Dawsons Music"

Surely a different Rick Harrison?

You would hope so.

On the other hand, if Dawsons stock suddenly starts appearing on the website claiming to be 50 years old at 20 times current prices, we know the reason!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14544
    tFB Trader
    As always a shame for those who will lose their jobs and the unpaid suppliers
    It's the guys in the stores I'm sorry for most.  As for the suppliers, the smart ones have already been into the shops and warehouse and taken what they were owed, hence the reason certain manufacturers started disappearing from their website.
    Maybe that might be the case with some companies but 5K to a small company can seriously hurt as much as 100K to say Yamaha - Remember all unpaid invoices is not just goods, it will be services as well
  • steersteer Frets: 1206
    Gutted. I love my local Dawsons. Hopefully someone comes in a takes them over. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strange they sent the letter out to the trade a few weeks ago, but then held off announcing anything publicly.

Makes you wonder if all the COVID stuff - particularly over moratoriums of Landlords being able to go legal, and leniency on insolvent trading laws - has given them some breathing room to get a few last gasps of air. I also suspect the COVID situation will be used as a reason to some degree, when it seems the writing on the wall dried a long time ago.

Looks promising that some other retailers are in discussions and so some sites may be saved. I always assumed a few of the locations may be cherry-picked where there wasnt coverage already, but didnt see any likelihood in a salvation of the company. I suppose it is whether they view the brand to be stronger in that location than their own.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4977
    Dawsons is one of those shops where I could go in looking for something and come out with nothing.

Sad to see a shop go, but it has been coming; they were already "restructuring".
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1003
    About a week ago I noticed their website had changed, layout/style basically everything.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Gibson guitars are back but no bargains
  • vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 197
    That's a shame, bought a THR10C from there a few years ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 774
    A shame, but was never a particularly great shop to go to (Manchester centre) in my experience

Manc only has Forsyths and PMT now, for the UKs 3rd city (likely second in terms of music scene - those from Leeds, Liverpool,Glasgow and Birmingham might disagree) that's pretty shocking considering the fantastic shops that used to be around the place just a decade ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26925
    Just a note on this...the previous thread was removed because - while it's pertinent content - it would be extremely poor form, if true, for Dawsons employees to find out on here rather than from their employer.

I did email a few higher-ups at Dawsons (including the owner) to see whether it was true and if there was an embargo on it, but nobody got back to me, so I left the thread where it was.

Nothing personal; I just know how I'd feel, finding out I'm about to lose my job on a forum.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    A shame, but was never a particularly great shop to go to (Manchester centre) in my experience

Manc only has Forsyths and PMT now, for the UKs 3rd city (likely second in terms of music scene - those from Leeds, Liverpool,Glasgow and Birmingham might disagree) that's pretty shocking considering the fantastic shops that used to be around the place just a decade ago. 
    Is Johnny Roadhouse not still going?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4936
    Hattigol said:

Is Johnny Roadhouse not still going?
    I went past last summer, there wasn't much to see.

• JohnHarrisonJohnHarrison Frets: 18
    edited May 2020
    digitalscream said:

Just a note on this...the previous thread was removed because - while it's pertinent content - it would be extremely poor form, if true, for Dawsons employees to find out on here rather than from their employer.

I did email a few higher-ups at Dawsons (including the owner) to see whether it was true and if there was an embargo on it, but nobody got back to me, so I left the thread where it was.

Nothing personal; I just know how I'd feel, finding out I'm about to lose my job on a forum.
    I understand, I created this alt-account and waited to post the news originally until all staff were informed of the NOI.  Just wanted to get it out there so people could make an informed purchasing decision, as Dawsons it seems (and understandably on their part) has been trying to keep this under wraps for as long as possible.

The news went public today after a 1pm conference call with all staff, updating them of the situation and informing them the company was looking for a buyer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i'm not surprised to be honest, i'm amazed they lasted this long. They always seemed a million miles behind the good shops in the UK to me