Using mics in instrument inputs on a mixer

What's Hot
Yeah - I know....  This isn't for me by the way.  I have a mate who wants to setup a very cheap arrangement to record jam sessions.  He wants to use a mixer with four mic inputs and four instrument inputs to output to a monitor so they can hear themselves and to a laptop / phone / whatever to record the results.  I have impressed upon him the large bodge-factor in this arrangement and have tried to push him down the JamHub route or similar but he's having none of it.  So......  as you know, little mixers jump in price once you go past two mic inputs.  My question is - if he uses XLR to quarter-inch adapters, and plugs a mic into an instrument input on the mixer - will he hear anything at all - or are the signal levels and impedances so incompatible, it just won't work.  My logic here is, in trying to keep the cost to an absolute minimum, a mixer with 2 mic inputs and six instrument level ones is cheaper than a 4 mic input mixer.  I also have to make sure the thing has a separate mono channel for each input - trying to use the often included stereo channels to take two instruments and juggle the pan knob etc isn't going to work for him.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    No it won't work.

You need a preamp to amplify the microphone.
    You could use a DI to go the other way (instrument into a mic input) there is no way to amplify a microphone to a decent level without a mic preamp.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496

How cheap does he need a mixer ... you know you can get a 12 channel digital mixer with direct out recording on multiple channel for £230 
    If the signals loud enough he can use a mic into a line input .... that's the main difference, the available gain  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Mixers are super cheap used...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24559
    edited May 2020
    I think I need to specify his budget here.....   

£150 tops.

So, forget all ideas of anything sensible.....   it's just a case of 'will it make a noise' !

I've been looking at used Behringer X18 and X16 analogue units.  I'm wondering if it might even be cheaper and easier to get two really small units, like the 802's and merge the buggers.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think I need to specify his budget here.....   

£150 tops.

So, forget all ideas of anything sensible.....   it's just a case of 'will it make a noise' !
    What is his attitude to stealing from a music shop?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3698
    Emp_Fab said:
    Yeah - I know....  This isn't for me by the way.  I have a mate who wants to setup a very cheap arrangement to record jam sessions. 
    I have a Zoom LiveTrak sat here doing nothing (I now record from my XR18 / laptop) which is designed to do exactly what he wants.  £200 + shipping if you, or your 'friend' wants to PM me.

It really is a mate....  I've got my own XR18 under the desk here !  Thanks for the offer but a) it's more than the £150 tops budget and b) it's digital and has buttons...   By his own admission, he's like "a gibbon at the controls of an airliner" when it comes to technology !

Oh - and I found out yesterday, the £150 budget has to include powered speaker(s) !!!!

I can do it for him, but it'll be shit and clunky and crappy fidelity - but there you go.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1273
    Keep an eye out for an old Behringer Eurorack MX1602A mixer - maybe you'll find one in budget? I've had one as my home studio desk for 25-odd years now and it's done sterling service. It's several 'generations' ago in Behringer desks, so maybe you'll get lucky? I have a vague memory mine was £144 new all those years ago.