Help with CITES

What's Hot
hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
Does anyone know what the latest on CITES is? If I want to ship a guitar with a non-Brazilian rosewood fretboard outside the EU do I need a CITES certificate?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 312
    No CITES documentation required for non-Brazilian rosewood as far as I know. :) 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5521
    Yup, finished musical instruments with rosewood (except Brazilian) are now exempt from requiring permits, so you can just ship away...
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    Great, thanks for the clarification!  :)
  • andymanandyman Frets: 58
    What with customs stopping guitars when this first kicked in, how are they to know which rosewood fretboards are Brazilian and which aren't? As in, is there a risk you'll get your guitar stopped and be asked for some sort of proof?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5521
    edited May 2020
    andyman said:
    What with customs stopping guitars when this first kicked in, how are they to know which rosewood fretboards are Brazilian and which aren't? As in, is there a risk you'll get your guitar stopped and be asked for some sort of proof?
    They have access to Google too... and yeah, if they suspect but can’t prove it the onus may be on you. 

In reality it doesn’t happen very much. But it does happen. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14842
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    andyman said:
    They have access to Google too... and yeah, if they suspect but can’t prove it the onus may be on you. 

In reality it doesn’t happen very much. But it does happen. 
    From what I can gather they don't have to prove it - they only need to suspect and guess, then the onus is on you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Another CITES question. Is Ebony restricted like Brazilian RW is?
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1227
    tFB Trader
    Not standard ebony no, there might be one or versions that are though, maybe Madagascar Ebony.
    I have just had a call this afternoon from UPS today about an import of some Rosewood, Ebony, Quilted Maple and Koa blanks from my suppliers in USA, he asked if I could give him the Latin names, "sorry I didn't attend Eton" was the reply, paid the duty and the packages will be delivered tomorrow, it's all pretty simple now again.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cool thanks