Playing 'louder' for solos etc., how to???

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    If you're already pushing the amp hard enough that it's into power-stage compression/soft overdrive, then boosting the input volume by itself won't really help, and might actually make things worse if you boost too much - the only things you can do are either narrow the frequency range at the same time, especially at the bottom end (ie a treble-booster pedal rather than a straight volume boost), or add a small amount of distortion/harmonic content - the Tube Screamer/SD-1 type pedals will do this, and the Sparkle Drive is one of those with a clean blend... but it's going to alter the tone and add a bit more distortion, whichever way you do it.

What speaker is in the amp? A more efficient one might give you a bit more headroom to work with, but that isn't a very cheap option either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited August 2020
    If the amp is on 10 then you need a bigger amp.
    If not, turn the volume up and the gain down so you have a cleaner sound from the amp. Use a bit of pedal for your drive. You can then put the boost after the drive pedal for a huge kick (putting it before will add compression and less boost) or use the volume knob on the geetar and dig in with the pick (my preference.)

The only time you might struggle is when the air in the room is saturated- playing rock with macho keyboard players seems to be the worst. In that case, it's a matter of arrangement - i.e. other people backing off and/or not playing whacking great chords. But- can't imagine that would be the case at a family do

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    just turn it up to 11
  • Volume pedal? Turn down for rhythm, turn up for lead.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    ICBM said:

What speaker is in the amp? A more efficient one might give you a bit more headroom to work with, but that isn't a very cheap option either.

Good question @ICBM, it is a Jenson C10Q 8 Ohm
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Rocker said:

Good question @ICBM, it is a Jenson C10Q 8 Ohm
    It might be worth trying the Jensen 10" Tornado - it's more than 2dB more sensitive, which would be like almost doubling the power of the amp, while keeping roughly the same tone, and also reducing the weight since it's a neodymium magnet.

There are other even more efficient 10"s but you may not want to change the sound of the amp too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Very interesting @ICBM. ; Got me thinking that a cab with two speakers [similar sound but different efficiency] would be an option for home playing while still useful for small gigs.

Thomann sell the Tornado but it costs over €100, a price I can't justify spending as the existing speaker works well.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom