Cream "I Feel Free" solo question

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
edited June 2014 in Music
A 'splitting hairs' type question this! But it's one thing I've never been 100% about. 

Was playing this solo and it brought the question back into my mind: The point where Clappo goes from 'woman tone' to the screaming treble sound for the final pattern in this solo: 

Do you think he's going from front pup (tone down) and to the back pup (tone up) via the selector switch? 

Or do you think he's just on the back pup and winding the tone up very quickly. 

occurs at 1:42.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Love that solo, possibly my favorite Clapton moment. I've always thought he was changing pick-ups.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Love that solo, possibly my favorite Clapton moment. I've always thought he was changing pick-ups.
    Mine too. 

There's archive footage of him on Youtube playing it live with the SG seeming to change pups. Could be that on disc too. 

Begs the question what other people here do to go from one to the other which is just as interesting to me. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6624
    Definitely sounds like neck pickup, tone rolled off, switched to bridge pickup, tone open wide, to my ears.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    Never given it a moment's thought.

Whatever he did, it sounds bloody marvellous though.

And a lot of 'Dorian' in it too...
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    richardhomer;270130" said:
    Never given it a moment's thought.

Whatever he did, it sounds bloody marvellous though.

That probably means you have your mind on better things!

I think he's on the selector switch. The Gibbo's tone pot is just a bit too far away to tely on rolling it up quickly.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73173
    Definitely sounds like neck pickup, tone rolled off, switched to bridge pickup, tone open wide, to my ears.
    That's what it sounds like to me as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    I think the switch as well, similar to Buddy Holly with Peggy Sue, where he had neck pickup on with tone rolled off then a guy standing in front changed switch for solo.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/lf/feather_260312/lesley-joseph-birds-of-a-feather-stage_5816142.jpg

I would say RocknRollDave has it bang on and it sounds like that to my cloth ears.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom