Dawson's Music Stores to be saved - new owners

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14758
edited May 2020 in Guitar tFB Trader
Just in from our trade press - Good news certainly for the existing staff

https://www.mia.org.uk/2020/05/iconic-retailer-dawsons-music-rescued-from-administration/
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5509
    edited May 2020
    Good news. Sounds like the new owners are far more suited to own an MI chain than a VC firm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 349
    That is very good news, so pleased all the staff are retained 
    I love my brick
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14758
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Good news. Sounds like the new owners are far more suited to own an MI chain than a VC firm.
    It would not surprise if they move more towards the traditional side of MI and less 'rock n roll' - Just a hunch and in truth a gap in the market today in many larger cities - With a strong acoustic guitar department - Probably better suits the image of the stores anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1220
    Excellent news.  :)
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    Other than the retention of jobs, is it good news? I can't really see any other benefits to this sad excuse for a music chain.
    It's a zombie brand if I ever saw one, kicking the can of insolvency a few more years down the road.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I wish them luck with it and hope they bring about changes that give the business new life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9598
    Jackobean said:
    Other than the retention of jobs, is it good news? I can't really see any other benefits to this sad excuse for a music chain.
    It's a zombie brand if I ever saw one, kicking the can of insolvency a few more years down the road.
    Not if new owners change how the business is run. I'm sure they'll have their own ideas in how to modernise the business. 
    Even if they fail, 75 people will be glad of an extra couple of years work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    It would not surprise if they move more towards the traditional side of MI and less 'rock n roll' - Just a hunch and in truth a gap in the market today in many larger cities - With a strong acoustic guitar department - Probably better suits the image of the stores anyway
    I expect that would be bad news for Forsyth's in Manchester who occupy this space but with probably less buying power.
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    I expect that would be bad news for Forsyth's in Manchester who occupy this space but with probably less buying power.
    It is only a hunch on my part based on a quick account of the new owners and a market place of rock n roll that is pretty much in the hands of a  few big players - In many towns now in the UK you can't even buy a trumpet or valve oil, let alone a nice dedicated acoustic department inc classical guitars - So coupled with the likes of the home electric pianos and brass and wood wind I can see this as a good move, especially with 6 or 7 other branches

Acoustic players are less likely to buy mail order, especially for a nice guitar - 20 years or so ago, the largest Taylor dealer in the UK, or one of the top dealers, was in Meadow Hall in Sheffield and recall they had a high turnover of Tanglewoods as well - And it was not your regular rock n roll shop
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5008
    They've sort of fallen between two (or is it three) stools: catering for pianos and sheet music customers, vs guitars & synths.

Maybe this'll give them focus.

But not everybody wants to buy a new Fender.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7037

Acoustic players are less likely to buy mail order, especially for a nice guitar - 20 years or so ago, the largest Taylor dealer in the UK, or one of the top dealers, was in Meadow Hall in Sheffield and recall they had a high turnover of Tanglewoods as well - And it was not your regular rock n roll shop
    Was that Fox’s music? I think I visited there a few times.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    mrkb said:

Was that Fox’s music? I think I visited there a few times.
    Yes - A very clean cut store that was more John Lewis than Rock n Roll - But they shifted a shed load of Taylor Guitars because the image of the store suited many of the buyers

I mean you don't walk into a shopping centre to actually buy a guitar, not in the way you'd visit Peach, or Coda or WG etc etc - More like you are in a shopping centre, the wife/partner has just brought a host of dresses and it is now time for your treat, as we've just seen a music shop so let's nip in for a look as we are passing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    Dawsons have a guitar I'm interested cheaper than anyone else. 

Anyone think it's risky to buy from them or are they back on track now?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5509
    Dawsons have a guitar I'm interested cheaper than anyone else. 

Anyone think it's risky to buy from them or are they back on track now?
    put it on a credit card or pay by paypal and you won’t have a problem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3171
    I think it’s great news for the staff the public and the industry. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    Great news for the staff, put personally I think Dawsons are just dreadful places like GuitarGuitar. I guess if you grew up in the early 00's when the shops with character and real owners were already on the demise then you don't know any better. They are the music retail equivalent of Next.
  • steersteer Frets: 1220
    edited June 2020
    I dont get the hate. Its a big store with hundreds of guitars on the wall - whats not to like? It's not trying to be your local independent shop with "character".  

In Liverpool, there used to be several large city centre music shops. We are down to just Dawsons in the main city shopping centre, plus one other on the edge of the town centre. If Dawsons went, then a city of musical heritage like Liverpool would have no music shops in the main city centre, which is pretty sad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom