Easiest setup for slide

What's Hot
SparkySparky Frets: 90
Any slide players out there that can suggest the easiest way to set up a guitar for slide please? I've an Epi SG that doesn't get much use so I'm thinking of using that. Would a nut riser and a heavier gauge string set suffice?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Depends on the action tbh - just raising the bridge end may be enough.  If the nut is cut really low then a new nut or riser might be needed.

Heavier strings good, but no need to go full on acoustic or Jazz wound 3rd strings - a set of 10s should be enough.

Might be easiest with an open tuning to start as it involves less muting that standard tuning.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Jalapeno said:
    Depends on the action tbh - just raising the bridge end may be enough.  If the nut is cut really low then a new nut or riser might be needed.

Heavier strings good, but no need to go full on acoustic or Jazz wound 3rd strings - a set of 10s should be enough.

Might be easiest with an open tuning to start as it involves less muting that standard tuning.
    Thanks! It's already strung with 10's and in open E. I'll loosen the strings and raise the bridge a full turn and see how that works. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4371
    Don't do anything too whacky with your set up - maybe just up the action a bit. No need for nut risers - they essentially convert your guitar to a lap steel and make it impossible to fret notes in tune. Most people want to still be able to fret notes/chords etc even on their slide guitar.

It's absolutely achievable to play clean, great sounding slide on a guitar with 10s and a medium action. Things like heavy strings, high actions, this slide or that slide etc should really be dictated by stylistic or tonal preferences as opposed to being needed just to be able to not sound shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Lewy said:
    Don't do anything too whacky with your set up - maybe just up the action a bit. No need for nut risers - they essentially convert your guitar to a lap steel and make it impossible to fret notes in tune. Most people want to still be able to fret notes/chords etc even on their slide guitar.

It's absolutely achievable to play clean, great sounding slide on a guitar with 10s and a medium action. Things like heavy strings, high actions, this slide or that slide etc should really be dictated by stylistic or tonal preferences as opposed to being needed just to be able to not sound shit.
    Thanks Lewy.

Currently I've just put a couple of turns into the tune-o-matic on a set of 10's. Using a brass slide so just starting to get a feel for the amount of pressure I need and remembering to mute those strings behind!