NGD DGT Goldtop

What's Hot
LodiousLodious Frets: 1959
edited May 2020 in Guitar
After thankfully arriving OK courtesy of our neck snapping friends at Parcelforce, the DGT has arrived....

sorry, struggling with pics again....I'll update ASAP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1959
    0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    I have one just like it although with less paint :)

It's awesome enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So far, thoughts are a bit mixed.

The good..
    Tuning stability
    Pickups
    Coil Taps

The bad....
    Huge frets

My fingers are totally wrecked after playing it last night. I think I need to back of with the pressure when fretting. I'm not sure if I'm going to like this guitar, but I'm going to give it a try for at least a couple of months to see if I can get used to it. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    They work best with 11s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Thanks @monquixote :-) What gauge strings are you using?  -  edit 11's I see from post above! I switched to 10's last night, but I think 11's are what Grissom uses. I'm finding with the big frets, it actually feels quite tight with 10's compared to a strat. I think it's maybe because my touch is too heavy.  

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5005
    That's lovely, I would have loved the GT when I picked up my white one but I've been more than happy with it and it wasn't a deal breaker. Enjoy!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Lodious said:
    So far, thoughts are a bit mixed.

The good..
    Tuning stability
    Pickups
    Coil Taps

The bad....
    Huge frets

My fingers are totally wrecked after playing it last night. I think I need to back of with the pressure when fretting. I'm not sure if I'm going to like this guitar, but I'm going to give it a try for at least a couple of months to see if I can get used to it. 

Dibs! 

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Looks awesome.   If I ever buy another pRS it will be a DGT.  Hope you get used to the frets and enjoy it,  sounds perfect to me. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    edited May 2020
    I had a DGT with a fancy top, I think the Goldtops or just plainer 'bursts look best. That's a lovely looking guitar. I liked the pickups and frets and neck profile. Wasn't so keen on the trem or the shiny poly paint job, controls and pull pot coil split.

I think a solid rosewood neck, nitro McCarty would be my ideal PRS. In fact the 2006 Modern Eagle 1 I had with a Brazilian Rosewood neck that I stupidly sold was probably it although that had coil split as well.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4250
    Congrats, that looks lovely! If you end up hating the frets but loving the rest then you could always try getting them dressed down in height
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33978
    You'll probably adjust to the frets if you keep playing it.
    I find big frets easier to adjust to than a bigger neck.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2452
    The DGT's didn't work out for me either. I'm a huge fan of Grissom and bought one of the early ones but to be honest I hated it, like you say big frets, big strings (lol), two vols (enough to confuse any Tele player), mine was heavy as hell too. 
    I felt this guitar was SO specific to one persons's requirements that it was like playing someone else's guitar. I see your has the binding that Grissom didn't approve of, and that has now been ditched. I guess if I found one under 8lbs, rewired, refretted and had some 10's on it then I would probably have like it because they sound amazing and the single coil tone was very usable. 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    It looks fantastic, Love the look of that guitar as a gold top, a proper players guitar.  Here's hoping you get used to the taller frets. Going to 11's may well help without you having to consciously think about downward pressure. 
    Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I do think the tall frets might be showing up problems with my technique, so I want to try to work on sorting that out. 

@RandallFlagg totally agree about the push pull knob, I'm going to wrap an elastic band round the knob as takes me ages to pull it up...it's too slippery!!!

• GassageGassage Frets: 31149
    I almost had one of these.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    @Gassage might be interested in buying this from you. You would have to "fix" that neck for him though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SuperiorReturnsSuperiorReturns Frets: 26
    edited May 2020
    Ok, look, let me chime in as a DGT owner. I originally started with a Custom 24. I then added a violet/purple DGT to my collection. 

Firstly the frets are big. However, if you lighten up your touch you will realise that somehow everything just works. Secondly, you don't have to have 11s on it. I replaced them with 10s during the lockdown period, simply because I did not have another choice and... it plays great! The DGT is a very special guitar. It is very unique in a lot of ways and there is a reason why so many PRS owners consider it to be "the PRS". Spend some time with it. If you want, change the strings. Then spend some more time with it. There is a 99% chance that you will start to appreciate it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    really classy looking  ....  

Are 11's really necessary though ?  I know Grissom uses them but if Billy Gibbons can play 7's n Yngwie can play 8's on a scalloped neck in Eb  - then suggest you can play what you feel most at home with .. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2642
    Had two of them.  Great guitars.  I loved the big frets.  I do think gold top with moons is a great look.
    Unfortunately my first was too heavy and my second, although a gorgeous guitar (charcoal burst) just didn't look the part for the gigs I play.  I didn't love the control layout, would have preferred single volume knob.  I might be tempted again, but it'd need to be an ultra light one with a traditional finish.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 456
    corrrr - I was drolling over one of these last night on the GG website - love 'em and the gold top is understated but stunning! Let me know of you cant live with it!!!!!