NGD DGT Goldtop

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    JMP220478 said:
    really classy looking  ....  

Are 11's really necessary though ?  I know Grissom uses them but if Billy Gibbons can play 7's n Yngwie can play 8's on a scalloped neck in Eb  - then suggest you can play what you feel most at home with .. 

You can put what you like on there but if you are heavy handed big strings don't go out of tune so easily.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I have a DGT with the fat wide neck and I am a heavy handed player with nothing subtle about my playing at all. I like to smack the shit out of the strings. I string it with 11s and it has the most stable tuning of any guitar I've owned. Once it's out of the case and up to ambient temperature, I tune it before soundcheck and do a check at the beginning of each set. That's it...it never moves.

They're excellent guitars, enjoy it!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5003
    edited May 2020
    I liked the 11-49 on these so much I now use it on my other guitars, it's a really great set for me as I can be cack handed too!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    I find if I use 11s on the PRS and 10s on the Strat the tension is fairly consistent. 

I guess if I had an LP I'd probably use 12s 

I do struggle to get a really focused heavy tone out of the DGT and I'm now wondering if it is using the 11s based on the video Rick Beato did about lighter string gauges giving a better recorded rock tone.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    I use 9s on everything including the two DGTs I had.  But I have big frets on all my guitars (including 6000s on my Suhr Classic) so the frets felt entirely normal to me. I play with a light touch and have no tuning issues.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    The frets don’t bother me at all - though I have a pretty light touch. They make massive bends really easy as you can get your fingers right under the strings. 

For my requirements I think it’s the best humbucking guitar available.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 641
    Lovely guitar. I think the moons and bound neck really suit it. If it were mine I'd sack off the second volume control though.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7023
    That's probably the least Snorkeldick PRS. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Lodious said:
    So far, thoughts are a bit mixed.

The good..
    Tuning stability
    Pickups
    Coil Taps

The bad....
    Huge frets

My fingers are totally wrecked after playing it last night. I think I need to back of with the pressure when fretting. I'm not sure if I'm going to like this guitar, but I'm going to give it a try for at least a couple of months to see if I can get used to it. 

If you find the frets too much I have a 2017 LP Goldtop Classic with Lollar Imperials gathering dust. I’m amiable to a trade.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 698
    I’ve a 2009 model, had it since 2010, best guitar I’ve owned and my most gigged using it in rock and funk bands. 
    Big frets just take getting used to, I could never play fast on it in the beginning, now it’s effortless. Love those big frets for bending and the neck carve is the best ever. I owned a 2008 too, exactly the same neck carve, my mate had a 2014 and the neck was awful on that one. 
    Someone mentioned the two volumes, not a negative for my as it gives you so much more to explore in coil tap mode. My fave is playing clean, coil tap on, selector in middle position and just blending the two volumes. 

Killer guitars. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1287
    That looks very nice mate! Look forward to trying that sometime :)
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1958
    Rowby1 said:
    That looks very nice mate! Look forward to trying that sometime :)
    Deffo! Be really interested to see what you think of it :-)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Very Nice!

Saw a red one on my online travels today.  Never heard of the shop in North Yorkshire before.

https://wildwireguitars.com/prs-dgt-standard-in-cherry-with-moons-189957-pre-owned/