eBay Rickenbacker, simply horrific...

What's Hot
TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
edited May 2020 in Guitar
As an owner of this particular model I find this rather unsettling and why anybody would do it is beyond me... art it certainly isn’t!
We are all Chameleons...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Another satisfied Parcelforce customer.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4692
    @HarrySeven will have that back together in no time using only chewing gum and spit 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375
    The headstock logo plate is actually worth a bit. Rick won’t provide a new one without sending in a broken original first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2670
    Of course it's been smashed - it's the Pete Townsend model. Just be grateful you didn't see their Jimi Hendrix strat.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    @HarrySeven will have that back together in no time using only chewing gum and spit 
    True story. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    edited May 2020
    It looks like a sad attempt to recreate this...

If it was acquired without pickups it may have had some sort of structural defect anyway - it's hard to think of one that wouldn't be repairable, but I've seen a 90s Rick 12-string with a neck angle that was set so wrong at the factory that it would have required really major effort to fix - getting the neck out isn't easy due to the way they're fitted into a deep socket in the body.

The headstock logo plate is actually worth a bit. Rick won’t provide a new one without sending in a broken original first
    Having had a close look at the pic with it, I'm not sure it's genuine - neither the broken perspex piece nor the solid/raised-letter white one look right. If not that makes the remains worth much less, although the electrics, knobs, lower pickguard and five unbroken machineheads are still worth having, as are the truss rods if they're not bent.

The tailpiece and bridge are also missing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4065
    What a twat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5008
    It is weird seeing a Ric with an F-hole, but this is an RM 1998 model.

It looks like the original back-printed TRC broke and lost its backing, so they've knocked up a cheapie and written it with a Sharpie (you can get really good raised lettering ones for a fiver on aliexpress now).

I wonder if it is repairable?
    prowla said:

I suppose technically it is, but realistically I would say no.

I might make an offer for it though! Just for the parts, and low enough that I don’t expect it will be accepted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    prowla said:

I suppose technically it is, but realistically I would say no.

I might make an offer for it though! Just for the parts, and low enough that I don’t expect it will be accepted.
    There’s <£100 in parts there. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Surely, that’s the Only way to improve a Rickenbacker :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 396
    It looks smashing!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

prowla said:

There’s <£100 in parts there. 
    I wasn’t thinking of offering that much ;).

I could also probably save something on the postage by not wanting him to send anything bigger than the neck.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3171
    Blimey just sold while I was looking at it 1bid 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Wasn't me! I was going to offer £50 for just the hardware, and let him sell the woodwork separately.

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    From what the seller says, it sounds a bit like they exploded it themself. What a tool.
    From what the seller says, it sounds a bit like they exploded it themself. What a tool.
    The way I read it, it sounded like he bought it like that as an art project - he claims the pickups were already missing so it doesn't sound like it was a complete guitar.

It's hard to believe it wasn't done deliberately by someone, though. One possibility is if was done in the belief that it was a fake due to the truss rod cover - Paypal has been known to demand the destruction of a perfectly good instrument after a claim like that...

https://www.channel4.com/news/destroyed-ebay-violin-could-have-been-saved-lawyer

Well, they did say "Any decent offer will be accepted", so I guess they had one.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Well it takes all sorts I suppose!
    We are all Chameleons...