Tuned down half a step

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5022
on my Gibson Melody Maker and it sounds great.  Initially the reason for tuning down was to try to learn a song by Don Williams, a song that did not use the EADGBe tuning.  Very happy with the result.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14758
    tFB Trader
    I've tried it a few times but never settled on it - For whatever reason that might be
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    Have 2 electrics and one of the acoustics all down half a step to Eb standard. The other acoustic and electric are both open D. Have tried going back to standard and just don’t like it anymore. Really odd. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    I go between standard and D standard/drop C. Feel like my SG is a lot better acoustically in the lower tuning, not sure why everything just seems to ring out nicer and sound richer - it's a bit plain in standard.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    My wife plays piano and teaches, her thinking on it is all the flat notes introduced when your playing open strings. She did try to explain but kinda goes over my head. She then showed me some chords on a piano only/mostly using the white keys, then chords only/mostly using the blacks (Debussy used lots of these chords), and I had to admit, I MUCH preferred the black key chords. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    edited May 2020
    The Don Williams song I tried to get a handle on is 'Heart of Hearts' from the And So It Goes album.  In standard tuning I capoed at the first fret and played G shape chords.  Sounded not too bad but in the one step down tuning, I can play A shape chords which sound closer to the recorded sound.

But the strange thing is that the guitar sounds heavier and fuller  in the flattened tuning.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    My Tele is generally always half a step down, and my Jag which makes the 11s on it a bit slinkier.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    All my guitars and bass have been like this for years. Just sounds and feels better to me.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4261
    edited May 2020
    All my guitars are in drop C & have been for years. It's great: all the grunt, but still tight & defined. I find anything lower can very easily start to get mushy
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Half step down on all my guitars always. Standard doesnt seem right now.
  • liamonliamon Frets: 105
    Big in the 90s. Green Day, Nirvana, Weezer, Smashing Pupmkins all were half step down on a lot of their big records/songs. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Of course SRV tuned down too didn’t he. Maybe because he used heavy gauged strings I believe. I think the guitarist Aynsley Lister does the same. It’s a tone thang ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3696
    I tuned my acoustic down half a step, only because it makes it easier to play. I leave the electrics standard. 

Jimi always tuned down. 
  • dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    Strat down to Eb. Just seems to suit the guitar. Plays nicer and faster and seems to fatten the sound up a bit.

Everything else in standard. 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i have an acoustic and an electric which are permanently de-tuned 2 semitones ie to D simple for performing and singing some songs that would otherwise be out of my range.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    Massive fan of this! I also love the sound of an acoustic or classical in d standard
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
    edited May 2020
    Have always done it. A lot of my favourite bands when I was younger played this way. Guns n roses, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Hendrix and SRV of course. I’ve got 11s on my tele and having them down a half step is just perfect. Love the action and sound. 

Edit to add, it helps for singing too if your range isn’t that high. I’m pretty sure Paul Simon tunes to E flat for this reason. 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 676
    My band have played in Eb for about 10 years now, and my Les Paul also has the low E tuned to C#. I moved string gauge up to 11's with a heavy top to keep this feeling tight. My Tele is "standard" Eb tuning.

I've recently started playing with another band, and that's in standard E. I use a different Telecaster for this.

I don't really have a preference, but for the really shit attempts I make at singing backing vox, I can pitch better when playing in Eb
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1006
    Not a great fan myself, offers more ways to trip yourself up!

However, I find a Strat, detuned a semi tone, is instant Hendrix!