PSA - 'vintage' guitars on Antiques Roadshow

What's Hot
TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
I've put 'vintage' in inverted commas because they're not on yet at time of writing (8.28pm), but I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of some of the more knowledgeable members on what's shown, particularly the valuations.
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    Is it a fresh edition of the programme or a Covid-19 lockdown repeat just to occupy air time? In the latter case, the gear may have already been discussed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    Can't say, tbh, but I think it may be new - it's in Bristol, at the airfield that built Concorde (and thus has several Concrode related items).

Others who have seen the programme before may be able to say more.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    They're on now. A Starway, a Hofner Verithin and a Gibson 68 Gold Top, apparently converted by Dick Knight to look like a 58.

They're in the "cheap, mid, dearest" section.
    The expert is saying the Starway is worth about £300, the Verithin about £1500 and the Gibbo (which he said was owned by one of the Stones' roadies) about £10k.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 644
    Don't know about the Starway, but those prices seem very high for the Hofner and Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    An original Starway is a very humdrum electric guitar that sells largely due to the Peter Shelley connection. 

The Eastwood “Pete Shelley” outfit was an intentionally limited edition recreation of the man’s personal guitar, complete without the top portion of the body and offered at a ridiculous price. 

IMO, the charm of the original lay not in the guitar but in what Pete did with it.

Q: Was the Stones “roadie” Stephen Barber? 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    I think £10k is about right for an unmolested '68, but the Hofner does sound a bit OTT.
    Call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    I'd say about half those prices for all of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    DB1 said:
    I think £10k is about right for an unmolested '68, but the Hofner does sound a bit OTT.

An original Starway is a very humdrum electric guitar that sells largely due to the Peter Shelley connection. 

The Eastwood “Pete Shelley” outfit was an intentionally limited edition recreation of the man’s personal guitar, complete without the top portion of the body and offered at a ridiculous price. 

IMO, the charm of the original lay not in the guitar but in what Pete did with it.

Q: Was the Stones “roadie” Stephen Barber? 
    Yes, it was. He said it had been played on a Stones record, but I missed which one because I was typing. Sorry.

Epsilon said:
    Don't know about the Starway, but those prices seem very high for the Hofner and Gibson.
    It wasn't unmolested, it had apparently been 'tweaked' to look like a 58. And it had a wraparound tailpiece.
    Stephen Barber is a bit more than a mere roadie or, even, a guitar tech. The guy is a proper luthier. He builds yer actual lutes. 

Yes, it was. He said it had been played on a Stones record but I missed which one because I was typing.
    Now, if the person touting the Gibson were Stephen’s brother, Jim, the roadie and recording stories are true. (Too Much Blood from the album Undercover.) I have also been shown photographs of Jim playing bass with Keith Richards whilst the latter worked out some chord progression. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    edited May 2020
    Slightly unrelated but still amusing - I saw this clip from an episode of "Pawn Stars"  from 2013 on Youtube. I thought the valuation from the "expert" seemed very high and that Vic was lucky to get that much for the guitar. I googled it afterwards and it turns out that it sold at auction in 2014 for $25k! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0vVubKXtY
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    hassleham said:
    Slightly unrelated but still amusing - I saw this clip from an episode of "Pawn Stars"  from 2013 on Youtube. I thought the valuation from the "expert" seemed very high and that Vic was lucky to get that much for the guitar. I googled it afterwards and it turns out that it sold at auction in 2014 for $25k! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0vVubKXtY
    @hassleham ;

Join us here brother 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/180014/vic-flick-1961-olympic-white-fender-strat#latest
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    @duotone ;
     haha thanks  =)
  • PennPenn Frets: 668
    edited May 2020
    ICBM said:
    I'd say about half those prices for all of them.
    I thought it was overly high for them to.