Screened Output Cable vs twisting the wires

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 851

On a Stratocaster, when you screen both the control cavity and the jack cavity with foil / graphite paint - I guess it’s important to use a screened output cable from Volume pot to the Jack socket, since it passes through the ‘Eustachian Canal’ that connects the two cavities…

Does twisting the two wires like this work just as well…? Or would I be better off with a screened cable?

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/ndZ1iw3.jpg)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    Better with a shielded cable.

Even when it's as neatly twisted as that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    in theory shielded is better

However twisting the wire does offer some protection from interference. It is a relativity short section of cable that is exposed so swapping the cable type might not make a huge difference. I would try it with the existing cable and see if you are happy with the results.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Shielded cable is probably best but  a twisted pair also helps to reduce RFI. A shielded cable works best if the shield is grounded at both ends which rarely happens with guitar pickups The biggest problem with single coil pickups are the pickups themselves which act as an antenna to RFI , unfortunately it’s the price that you have to pay if you want that sound. I’ve tried using “ noiseless “ Stratocaster type pickups in the past but have never been happy with the tone.