What is your action height at the 22nd fret high E string?

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 775
What is your action height at the 22nd fret high E string?

I have lowered mine to 1.8mm without buzzing.

I would like to know what height other players have at the 22nd fret.

Many thanks
Guy
"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    My Strat has an action of a tiny bit less than 2mm at the 21st fret. How are you measuring it so exactly?! Feeler gauges?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    My main Les Paul Standard (2008) has the action on the 21st fret for the high E at 0.8mm. Mind you, everyone who has ever played this guitar is amazed at how low I've been able to set the action, so it's possibly a bit of a freak of nature...!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    FarleyUK said:
    My main Les Paul Standard (2008) has the action on the 21st fret for the high E at 0.8mm. Mind you, everyone who has ever played this guitar is amazed at how low I've been able to set the action, so it's possibly a bit of a freak of nature...!
    I once had a 70s Les Paul Custom like that - you could set the action unfeasibly low and it still played fine.

The only problem was that it not only weighed as much as if it was made of depleted uranium, it had about the same tonal properties...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 775
    edited May 2020
    nonesuch said:
    My Strat has an action of a tiny bit less than 2mm at the 21st fret. How are you measuring it so exactly?! Feeler gauges?

Yes, I have a set of Feeler gauges.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    ICBM said:
    FarleyUK said:
    I once had a 70s Les Paul Custom like that - you could set the action unfeasibly low and it still played fine.

The only problem was that it not only weighed as much as if it was made of depleted uranium, it had about the same tonal properties...
    This thing sings - it's been weight relieved but just has something about it...! Just checked my 2008 Custom, and that's set at 1mm.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    edited May 2020
    All of mine are 2mm at the "highest fret".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    FarleyUK said:

This thing sings - it's been weight relieved but just has something about it...! Just checked my 2008 Custom, and that's set at 1mm.
    My one 'sang' in one way - it had almost limitless linear Nigel Tufnell-like sustain - but the actual tone of it was completely characterless, literally like the guitar was made from something extremely dense but inert. (It was, really.) I even tried stringing it with 12s once to try to give it more resonance and a richer tone, but it just made it sound exactly the same, but louder and harder to play :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    2.3mm at the 21st on my strat - any lower and I struggle to bend as I find the strings slip under my fingers.
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    0.75mm at the 21st fret, it is a Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard from 2005. Came that way with other electronic upgrades when I bought it. I also have a 1990 Burny LG75 GR and it is at 1mm. None of my Gibsons or Fender etc could be set even close!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7211
    Surely if the neck has any relief, then this measurement isn't any real indication of the action overall?

Could be like a banana in the middle with a high action.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11749
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    Most of mine are (45thou-49thou)1.15mm-1.25mm at 17th fret , so a little higher at 22nd - maybe 1.3mm-ish
    They tend to have 4-8 thou relief too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 775
    edited May 2020
    stonevibe said:
    Surely if the neck has any relief, then this measurement isn't any real indication of the action overall?

Could be like a banana in the middle with a high action.

Yes true, but I'm thinking of a neck that is straight or has a very slight relief.

Most of mine are (45thou-49thou)1.15mm-1.25mm at 17th fret , so a little higher at 22nd - maybe 1.3mm-ish
    They tend to have 4-8 thou relief too.

That's impressive.
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    edited May 2020
    gregm said:
    0.75mm at the 21st fret, it is a Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard from 2005. Came that way with other electronic upgrades when I bought it. I also have a 1990 Burny LG75 GR and it is at 1mm. None of my Gibsons or Fender etc could be set even close!

At the 12th and 17th frets roughly 0.7 mm using feeler gauges. Neck is straight and frets perfectly leveled. I have had many professional musicians play it while selling other guitars and they are shocked at how well it plays at that level!