Some questions about Hohner MW-300

sannesleysannesley Frets: 0
edited May 2020 in Acoustics
I've dabbled with guitars now going on 30 years. I know a few basic chords and other bits but have never been able to even begin to master or manage a barre chord. With lockdown at the moment I've had some more time to begin taking a more serious approach to hopefully improve my ability and lack of skill. 

I have an acoustic Hohner MW-300. For the life of me I can't even remember where or when I bought it. As I've read more into the technical side of setting up a guitar I've come across terms like "action" and "truss rod" along with other new words and phrases. I've inspected the neck of my guitar by holding a straight edge along it. When I do this the top and bottom of the straight edge sit flat on the fret wires but don't touch the wires in between. Is this normal or does it point to a neck issue? One thing I did notice is that the guitar does not have a truss rod?

Also if I measure the action height on for example the 7th fret it's sitting at 4mm. Does that figure indicate a high action? I'm just wondering if the action was lowered would it be easier to play?

Apologies if any of this sounds nonsense but I am learning my way through this as I go along. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Sounds like that Hohner won’t make bar chords too easy. 
    How much string height do you have at the 12th?
    Got any pictures?

Too much bow in the neck for sure. Without a truss rod, getting the bow out of that neck is a big job

Also sounds like the neck angle is wrong. For a basic check of neck angle take the straight edge you have and run it down the neck to the bridge. It should run close to or just over the top of the bridge (not saddle). If it hits the bridge at half way down or lower then it’s probably beyond economical repair, depending on a few other factors 

Just bear in mind how cheap, decent guitars are these days. Unless this guitar holds anything other than monetary value I would consider a different guitar 
  • sannesleysannesley Frets: 0
    @Andy79 thanks for your reply. I'll check out the neck angle when I get a moment. As for considering a different guitar I should have a new electric and amp kit arriving tommorow.

I was advised and have read that it's easier to learn on an electric guitar. I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 012 with Line 6 V20 Amp from PMT online, so hopefully this makes it easier and more fun which will make me want to practice more and stick at it; And who knows it might inspire me to maybe purchase a better acoustic down the line.
    I'm enjoying the electric guitar. I'm now seriously thinking of buying a luna grand Concert to replace the Hohner
    Andy79 said:
    Sounds like that Hohner won’t make bar chords too easy. 
    How much string height do you have at the 12th?
    Got any pictures?

Too much bow in the neck for sure. Without a truss rod, getting the bow out of that neck is a big job

Also sounds like the neck angle is wrong. For a basic check of neck angle take the straight edge you have and run it down the neck to the bridge. It should run close to or just over the top of the bridge (not saddle). If it hits the bridge at half way down or lower then it’s probably beyond economical repair, depending on a few other factors 

Just bear in mind how cheap, decent guitars are these days. Unless this guitar holds anything other than monetary value I would consider a different guitar 

Hohner MW-300 Acoustic Guitar  Entertainment Trader  Reverb

@Andy79 I've attached a picture from the web which is the exact same guitar as the Hohner I have. I'm now in the position to purchase a new acoustic and I have my eye set out a Grand concert style made by Luna. Looking at the picture I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what body type this guitar is? I think it's a parlour guitar style?

I'd like to buy something in the same body style or not too dissimilar and I think the Grand Concert wouldn't be a massive change in size or style type from looking at the images on the websites? I suppose the best way would be to visit a music store but then I'd probably end up buying the Luna off the web and I'd feel bad walking into the shop and messing around with the guitars and most likely not purchasing one. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited July 2020
    'parlour' is a fairly broad term. Usually denoting a small bodied guitar with a fretboard/body joint at the 12th fret, as is the Honer.

A GC is a "smallish" guitar with a fretboard/body join usually at the 14th fret.

12 fret parlours are generally regarded as guitars for fingerstyle playing rather than strumming, etc. 

A GC would be considered more versatile than  a parlour. 

• Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    I picked up an s/h MW300 Dreadnought a few years ago for £30, in really good condition for a 40+ year old guitar. I gave it a good clean, oil, new strings and it played and sounded as good as anything I have at 10x the cost... My son claimed It and got rid of his other more expensive guitar.
    But value wise it wouldn't be worth spending anything on it.
    If you're after a good acoustic for not too much money have look at the Eastcoast range at PMT... Really well made, with a good quality finish and acoustically very good. I've got a G1S Grand Auditorium and I love it.
    The Eastcoast D1S would be a good replacement for your Hohner and only £120.
    Kilgore said:
    'parlour' is a fairly broad term. Usually denoting a small bodied guitar with a fretboard/body joint at the 12th fret, as is the Honer.

A GC is a "smallish" guitar with a fretboard/body join usually at the 14th fret.

12 fret parlours are generally regarded as guitars for fingerstyle playing rather than strumming, etc. 

A GC would be considered more versatile than  a parlour. 

Thanks for the information @Kilgore. I've learnt something new. That's what I love about this site is the knowledge and experience of the members. TBH I'd never noticed the 2 extra frets in the grand concert over the parlour.

I've posted a picture of the guitar I intend to buy below. What draws me to it is the clour and the grain of the quilted ash underneath.
    Thanks @Balrog68 ;
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    sannesley said:
    I've posted a picture of the guitar I intend to buy below. What draws me to it is the clour and the grain of the quilted ash underneath.
    Nice... Good Choice.What model is it? It looks like the Grand Auditorium shape with a cut out. 
    Balrog68 said:
    Nice... Good Choice.What model is it? It looks like the Grand Auditorium shape with a cut out. 
    The description on the website lists it as a Grand Concert cutaway

• Top Material: Quilt Ash
    • Body Material: Mahogany
    • Body Type: Grand Concert Cutaway
    • Bridge Material: Black Walnut
    • Binding: Black
    • Colour: Trans Teal