One for (Rich) Satch Fans!

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200121354478008--ibanez-js1cr-joe-satriani-chrome-boy

At £5k? Blimey

on a more serious note, I am surmising the majority of the manufacturing cost is Taken up with applying chrome to a non metallic and moving substrate (wood) which in theory are probably incompatible.
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    Didn't the finish on the old ones of these delaminate really easily, or am I thinking of the chrome finished strats?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    andy1839 said:
    Didn't the finish on the old ones of these delaminate really easily, or am I thinking of the chrome finished strats?
    There were something like 250 JS10th models. If I remember correctly around 70 - 80% of them had chrome peeling. 

Something I still hold a grudge over to this day is that I had one in my hands. I was working in retail and we got one in. It was a good one. No peeling. It was a guitar I'd lusted after for years. The price to me was £1300. I'd just sold my Les Paul and was going to get it. Went for a dump, got back and another guy had sold it. I was gutted. He's dead now. Freak accident in the store that I had nothing to do with. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

12reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    I like it but would prefer one of the originals, 24 fret JS just looks odd to me.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    If I had the cash I'd be hitting "add to basket" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    edited May 2020
    andy1839 said:
    There were something like 250 JS10th models. If I remember correctly around 70 - 80% of them had chrome peeling. 

Something I still hold a grudge over to this day is that I had one in my hands. I was working in retail and we got one in. It was a good one. No peeling. It was a guitar I'd lusted after for years. The price to me was £1300. I'd just sold my Les Paul and was going to get it. Went for a dump, got back and another guy had sold it. I was gutted. He's dead now. Freak accident in the store that I had nothing to do with. 

I don't know whether to laugh or be horrified (at the comment, not the guitar)!

I saw this on the email from GuitarGuitar yesterday and as a bit shocked at the price, although I suppose I shouldn't be.

The JS models are about as close as I ever get to contemplating buying an Ibanez.  They look like they'd be really comfortable to play, it's a great body shape although I prefer the 22-fret models to the 24s.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I have to admit that I don't like the way that Satch's 24 fret guitars look with the pickup butted up to the 24th fret. I much prefer his 22 fret guitars
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    andy1839 said:
    Didn't the finish on the old ones of these delaminate really easily or am I thinking of the chrome finished strats?
    Fender issued an alumin(i)um bodied Stratocaster in engraved and/or colo(u)red finishes. (Harley-Davison, Aloha et cetera.) There was a problem with them but I cannot recall whether it was tuning stability or the metal marking due to skin acidity. oils and grease.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    I had a JS1000 for a while.

They are very comfy, light and ergonomic to play, really versatile in terms of the sounds available and the neck is like a slim Strat not a cramp inducing widdle stick.

I sold it because I can't get on with Floyds, but I think Ibanez really miss a trick by not making them with a hard tail or a two post trem because I (and I'm sure lots of other people) would have one like a shot.
    I think they very briefly did a mahogany one with P90s, but that is about it.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I love the 22 fret JS model. Not tried the 24, but no real need for one.

The 22 fret body shape is excellent, the Fred and Paf Pro is a great combination and easily one of my fave guitars to play
    They are very comfy, light and ergonomic to play, really versatile in terms of the sounds available and the neck is like a slim Strat not a cramp inducing widdle stick.

I think Ibanez really miss a trick by not making them with a hard tail or a two post trem because I (and I'm sure lots of other people) would have one like a shot.

There have been a few hardtails.  The JS700 was the one with P-90s and a sort of modernised wraparound bridge.  The JS6 and JS1600 had humbuckers and a Gotoh strings-through-body bridge.  Then there was one called the JS2000(?) which had a weird bridge which was fixed, but with string clamps like a Floyd/Edge tremolo because he preferred the tone of that kind of bridge.

I may have some of those model numbers wrong.

Yes, I'd buy one with a more traditional bridge.  Actually I'd buy one with an Edge, if it had a bigger neck.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098

I sold it because I can't get on with Floyds, but I think Ibanez really miss a trick by not making them with a hard tail or a two post trem because I (and I'm sure lots of other people) would have one like a shot.
    And I really wish I hadn't sold it on
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7040
    Philly_Q said:

I think Ibanez really miss a trick by not making them with a hard tail or a two post trem because I (and I'm sure lots of other people) would have one like a shot.

There have been a few hardtails.  The JS700 was the one with P-90s and a sort of modernised wraparound bridge.  The JS6 and JS1600 had humbuckers and a Gotoh strings-through-body bridge.  Then there was one called the JS2000(?) which had a weird bridge which was fixed, but with string clamps like a Floyd/Edge tremolo because he preferred the tone of that kind of bridge.

Yes, I'd buy one with a more traditional bridge.  Actually I'd buy one with an Edge, if it had a bigger neck.

And the JS6000 was fixed bridge with Fred and Paf Pro humbuckers.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    Stevepage said:

And I really wish I hadn't sold it on

Amusingly I also wish I hadn't sold the PRS I traded it with you for :)
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah I discounted the JS2000 because I thought the bridge looked weird and horrible.

From looking at the JS fan site there is a JS6 which is super rare and a JS1600 which I would like very much

I'm not sure if they are extremely valuable, but I remember a JS700 coming up on here a while back for bugger all.

From looking at the JS fan site there is a JS6 which is super rare and a JS1600 which I would like very much

I'm not sure if they are extremely valuable, but I remember a JS700 coming up on here a while back for bugger all.

That JS1600 is nice, but it desperately needs a matching headstock!

JS700 seems relatively common, I've seen them on eBay quite a lot, not sure about the prices but I don't think they were very high.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    rsvmark said:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200121354478008--ibanez-js1cr-joe-satriani-chrome-boy

At £5k? Blimey

on a more serious note, I am surmising the majority of the manufacturing cost is Taken up with applying chrome to a non metallic and moving substrate (wood) which in theory are probably incompatible.

when you click the link, it gives you other products under it, Dale Wilson masterbuilt strat 7K, surh Strat 4K, Team built custom shop strat 5.5K 

value in guitars in general seems to be bit over the top at the moment.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    +1 on not really liking the 24 fret models. I'd love a JS but I couldn't see myself playing one down The Feathers.

He was my first proper hero on the instrument and I got to see him on the FIABD tour.. in fact it's 30 years ago tomorrow! I'd never seen anyone play like that before. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 452
    edited May 2020
    Love the JS guitars - it was the first guitar I really, really wanted, but as a teenager couldn't afford. I made up for it over the years and have had quite a few, although never a Chromeboy. I was briefly tempted by these new ones (which supposedly have a slightly soft almost "self healing" finish) but common sense and the fact I really don't need it and would rarely play it prevailed

I've had several JS1000's, a Japanese JS700 (a mint £400 bargain I should have kept, although it didn't play anywhere near as well as a regular JS), a JS2000 (traded on here with @SquireJapan ;;many years ago) and a JS6000 - which is the only one I still own and have gigged many times. Wish I'd picked up a JS1600 when they were being discontinued, they very rarely come up for sale, but a classy looking guitar and one I'd buy if I saw it

As others have said, they're just such comfortable guitars to play, are very versatile and sound great 

Here's my JS6000, currently sporting chrome hardware like a JS6, with an original Bill Lawrence in the bridge. I still have all the original cosmo hardware and the FRED pickup as standard on the JS6000 should I want to swap back 

All the playability of the standard models, without the hassle of a locking trem - a definite keeper  

Excuse the weeds!!! 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    That's cool as!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Those mahogany ones are lovely and its really down to them that the Extremist album sounds so excellent on the rhythm parts. I've had a JS1 and a JS1000 in the past, but these are my 3 keepers:

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom