Adjust the Truss Rod on the Strat - do you take the strings off?

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
edited May 2020 in Guitar
Okay, after setting everything up with 10's. (I think I might try 9's next time) I can only get the Low E to 2mm above the 12th fret, High E a hair lower than 2mm, any lower it will buzz on the 12th fret.  I know that's completely normal but I want to get it even lower by tightening the truss rod.  Now the strings are already on, can I do it without removing all the strings?  i.s. loosen them, then put a capo on the 1st fret then take off the neck plate and twist the screw clockwise by 1/4 turn?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3719
    That's what I did on my Baja Telecaster.  Thankfully it's the only guitar I have where the adjustment is at at that end.

Before you tighten it - have you measured the relief?  Easiest way is to place a capo on the first then depress the string at the point where the neck meets the body (17th fret on a Strat) and check the gap to the 7th or 8th fret using feeler guages (or a business card if you don't have guages).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    Yes. There's an old video somewhere showing how Fender used to do it at the factory - take out the two screws at the end of the neck, loosen the two at the outer end of the pocket by a half-turn, and tilt the neck up so you can get at the adjuster. I'm fairly sure they did it under full string tension too! Although I don't...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23592
    Whenever I think I might need to adjust the truss rod on a Fender my heart sinks.  But if it's my hardtail Strat, I remember it has the bullet adjuster on the headstock.  It actually gives me a little moment of joy every time I think about it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Philly_Q said:
    Whenever I think I might need to adjust the truss rod on a Fender my heart sinks.  But if it's my hardtail Strat, I remember it has the bullet adjuster on the headstock.  It actually gives me a little moment of joy every time I think about it.
    I never had to touch the truss rod on my Tele but I did get it set up in Birmingham (the tech/people who made Tommy Iommis guitar) when I first got the guitar. I think it is strung on 10’s but it feels more slinky than the Strat some reason, and by just eye balling it down the neck, it has less relief yet I got the 12th fret to about 1.2-1.4mm on the low E and just under 1mm on the High E, yet it doesn’t buzz.   I am actually amazed myself.
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    edited May 2020
    Hi, I always detune my strings before adjusting the truss rod. But I am not sure if adjusting truss rod is something you should do to get a low action. I set up all of my guitars with almost no relief ( there is a relief but not much ,I think it is approx 0.25 mm). But I set the neck like that not because I want to lower the action, it is just what I like it. My string action at 14th fret is always between 1.5-2.0 (high E side) and 1.75-2.25 (low E side). Anything lower than that, it doesn't buzz, but I just don't like to play with that very low action..

@RaymondLin, does it buzz at only one spesific 12th fret or does it buzz all over the fret above 12th fret? If it is only at the 12th fret, probably there is an uneven fret?
    If all above 12th frets are buzzing..this is a sign of too much relief..if this is the case,  it is reasonable to adjust the truss rod..
    Joe123 said:
    Hi, I always detune my strings before adjusting the truss rod. But I am not sure if adjusting truss rod is something you should do to get a low action. I set up all of my guitars with almost no relief ( there is a relief but not much ,I think it is approx 0.25 mm). But I set the neck like that not because I want to lower the action, it is just what I like it. My string action at 14th fret is always between 1.5-2.0 (high E side) and 1.75-2.25 (low E side). Anything lower than that, it doesn't buzz, but I just don't like to play with that very low action..

@RaymondLin, does it buzz at only one spesific 12th fret or does it buzz all over the fret above 12th fret? If it is only at the 12th fret, probably there is an uneven fret?
    If all above 12th frets are buzzing..this is a sign of too much relief..if this is the case,  it is reasonable to adjust the truss rod..
    Hi Joe,

It's the latter, it buzzes on a few frets hence i am thinking adjusting it.  It doesn't buzz on open string.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    ?? so we are talking about truss rod adjustment from the heel of the neck?? All the strats I've owned adjust at the headstock.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7211
    I just loosen the neck bolts and get on with it.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23592
    axisus said:
    ?? so we are talking about truss rod adjustment from the heel of the neck?? All the strats I've owned adjust at the headstock.
    So they've all been modern ones.  Or 1970s ones?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Yes. There's an old video somewhere showing how Fender used to do it at the factory - take out the two screws at the end of the neck, loosen the two at the outer end of the pocket by a half-turn, and tilt the neck up so you can get at the adjuster. I'm fairly sure they did it under full string tension too! Although I don't...
    Neither do I. Some modern Fenders have a habit of the finish delaminating from the body on the rectangular section below the neck pocket. Put any pressure on that edge and off it comes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I built a channel into the cavity and scratchplate to be able to do it without loosening any screws/strings.
    edited May 2020
    Managed to do a 1/8 turn on the truss today before getting resistance and put it back together.  It’s a little better now  it still buzz one one fret, the very last one so next time I change strings I’ll just take an hair off of that then it’ll be perfect.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3327
    Gig emergency chew off some scratchplate
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    @RaymondLin glad to hear that. But I suggest after adjusting the truss rod, play a bit and consider adjusting the string action again. From my experience, straight neck can really allow very low action but it doesn't mean you will like it. Always do this in a sequencial manner : truss rod -> string action--> Intonatiom. I hope u get the best setup for the guitar soon. :)
    edited May 2020
    Joe123 said:
    @RaymondLin glad to hear that. But I suggest after adjusting the truss rod, play a bit and consider adjusting the string action again. From my experience, straight neck can really allow very low action but it doesn't mean you will like it. Always do this in a sequencial manner : truss rod -> string action--> Intonatiom. I hope u get the best setup for the guitar soon.
    I’ve got it set up now pretty much perfect, and as much as I could do without fret dress or cutting the nut.  It’s really easy to play but I need to get used to the shape.   I’m used to all the other guitars digging into my arm pit and raising the angle of my shoulder a bit but the Strat  obviously don’t do that so the angle of my arm is all off right now.  I’m sure it’s something I will get used to.