The "which budget Strat (I feel dirty)" thread

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5435
Despite having an HSS Squier Bullet as my only guitar for many years in my distant youth, I've never really been much of a Strat person. They don't particuarly do it for me visually, and I've always tended to gravitate more towards the rawk stylings of LPs, humbuckers etc.

However, @GJK1959 has recently lent me his much abused Strat of unknown model (think it's a Squier in fibber's clothing) which has made me think that whilst they still look like the acceptable face of an utter lack of rebellion, they may have a purpose.

Plus no guitar is ever going to make me look cool anyway.

So ... at the budget end, what's the sweet spot for being Stratty without breaking the bank (new or secondhand)? The Squier Affinity look to be so ridiculously cheap new I can't imagine anyone ever sells them secondhand, Then there's the assorted Classic Vibe 50/60/70, and the Vintage wossname one. And presumably some of the low-end Fenders start to creep in too.

Come the freedom to actually go to a shop I might spend a happy afternoon at Coda, but as part of the teasing research phase ... lay your wisdoms upon me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14727
    Pre-owned MIM Fender Classic/Player/Vintera stuff strikes a nice balance of looks and playability.

The old MIJ Squier Silver Series is nice yet affordable. The Hank Marvin signature model is the pick of the bunch.

Before Covid-19 lockdown, I had a cunning plan to buy the unloved/discounted NOS Squier Surf Stratocaster at my nearest dealership, ditch the stock pickguard and electronics assembly then, apply my own upgrades. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    Second nod for the Squier Silver Series or the Pro Tone series. Although prices are not far off a bog standard Mex Fender, they’re special in a way the Mexs are not. Should be in one for less than £300. Pickups to be replaced to taste on all of the above.

Consider a Squier 51, a Tele-Strat mashup with a splittable humbucker in the bridge and single coil in the neck. Super playable and people who replaced the original pickups ended up putting them back in because they are so good. £200 should do it.  And as you say there’s sundry Classic Vibe and Vint Mod stuff out there which all look cool. 

The lowest budget stuff like Affinitys it’s hard to recommend. For a bit more you could have a Strat for life.

In the circa £500 price bracket I’d keep a look out for something Japanese, maybe a 1980s Fender or a Bacchus or similar. My Bacchus 62 reissue set me back about £600 and it’s difficult to see how it could be better. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    I've got a Squier Silver Series that I've been half meaning to sell for a while. And I'm not a million miles from you...
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I went down the partscaster route to get the bits I wanted - not the cheapest but enjoyable and cheaper than any equivalent pre built guitar. The Squier classic vibe stuff I've seen and tried has all been very good. 
    I had a mid 90's Mexican Fender at one point which wasn't brilliant, be aware of what you're buying if going second hand!
    edited May 2020
    Consider a Squier 51
    CAUTION: The Squier ‘51 comes in two classes. The original production is justly revered. The slight return is exactly that - a sleight. 

Given the cult popularity of this design, you might have thought that more of the custom parts suppliers would have cashed in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I would aim for a Players series.Nice guitars with a proper name on it not a tax fiddle.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7195
    I have an american special that I'm selling, not as budget as some of the suggestions here but a fantastic entry point for a USA strat, sounds superb and has a great feeling satin neck
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4757
    edited May 2020
    The Deluxe Roadhouse is a bit of a wildcard - Stratty but with added growl.  Not one for the purists probably but it covers a lot of ground.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    G&L Legacy or S500 Tribute for the win at under £500 :)
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I’d look at the Yamaha Pacifica offerings, there are a plethora of different models at ridiculously cheap prices. I’m currently on the look out for a certain model myself after being wowed but it on YouTube.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12527
    I had a squier standard Strat which I changed the pots and wiring on which was really good. You’ve played my old 86 Japanese Strat I think which I liked. 

Loads of decent mex stuff about used. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8093
    Used Mex Classic Player. Excellent guitars. And a great used buy. 
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    I have a Cruiser by Crafter Strat which I bought for 15 quid at a boot sale. I bought it on a whim, thinking I could use it to practice my luthier skills. But after levelling and smoothing the frets, fitting Fender pickups, bridge and electrics, it turned out to be quite an excellent guitar. Just recently I thought I'd upgrade to a Mexican Fender, but after trying four different examples, I still haven't found one better than my Cruiser. So my advice is just buy something Strat shaped made of decent wood - you can always upgrade it later.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2943
    edited May 2020
    Snags said:
    Despite having an HSS Squier Bullet as my only guitar for many years in my distant youth, I've never really been much of a Strat person. They don't particuarly do it for me visually, and I've always tended to gravitate more towards the rawk stylings of LPs, humbuckers etc.

However, @GJK1959 has recently lent me his much abused Strat of unknown model (think it's a Squier in fibber's clothing) which has made me think that whilst they still look like the acceptable face of an utter lack of rebellion, they may have a purpose.

I'm not really a strat person at all (for similar reasons as you) but I think the beauty of the design is you can set it up however suits you best, so it doesn't have to be so boring. I've just picked my old parts one up from the friend I lent it to about a year ago and it's surprisingly fun. Mines a single bridge humbucker with 1 volume. It's just a Squier Affinity neck with a random no name body from my first ever electric, so nothing great. The most valuable thing on it is the Hipshot locking tuners I put on when I used the neck on a telemaster. Needs a bloody good clean and setup, and I'm gonna get a singlecoil neck and 3 way toggle - hate middle pickups and the typical strat control layout!

As with all Fender types I like the parts route if you enjoy that sort of thing, know what specs you want and aren't concerned about resale. I don't think anyone makes an off the shelf model of what I really want from a strat other than the Charvel Pro Mod H-S which is pretty expensive and doesn't have any finishes I like.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    Consider a Squier 51
    CAUTION: The Squier ‘51 comes in two classes. The original production is justly revered. The slight return is exactly that - a sleight. 

Given the cult popularity of this design, you might have thought that more of the custom parts suppliers would have cashed in. 

Interesting @Funkfingers - how does one tell the difference?
    how does one tell the difference?
    Serial numbers are one clue.

If memory serves, the first run bodies were proper wood and the later production was laminate, mdf or some such. (Might suit slide players!)

The best option of all is the MIJ Pawn Shop ‘51. The humbucker and the selector switch need upgrading. Everything else is fine. IMO, a tone pot would be desirable. Just need to decide where to relocate the selector switch.
  • clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
    I’ve recently been looking for the same. Picked up a used sunburst classic player 60s Strat for £479 from music street. Great neck (as long as you like the flatter profile 12 inch) CS pickups, great guitar-feels a steel for less than £500... Very happy with it.