Les Paul buzzes until I touch the strings or pickup

What's Hot
I've got a 96 Gibson Les Paul and when plugged in it buzzes lightly until I touch the strings, pickups or output jack. Is this some kind of grounding issue? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks a bunch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 312
    My PRS 594 did the same thing, which was a conscious decision by Paul as far as I remember. Something to do with the wiring or pickups not being potted I think?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4868
    An expert will be along later, but I believe that's normal. Humbuckers don't stop all noise. RF signals in the air are passing through your unearthed body. When you earth yourself by touching those parts, it no longer goes through you because the guitar is grounded and then so are you. 

Experts...  right? Or total garbage? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Missing ground/earth, If you have a multimeter check for continuity between a)strings and back of pots and b) back of pots output jack, if its a) then most likely connection to tailpiece, if b) most likely one of the wires connecting all the backs of the pots
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72981
    edited May 2020
    It's not a missing ground connection - it's normal, and caused by poor shielding. The ground connection to the bridge/tailpiece is present if touching the strings stops it, and both sets of controls are properly grounded if one pickup doesn't buzz when you touch the cover. (It wouldn't work properly anyway without being.)

To fix the problem fully you will need to line the control and switch cavities with copper foil tape. But on modern Gibsons, there's one single place the noise gets in more than anywhere else, which is the unshielded cores of the cable that runs into the control cavity from the switch. These are left far too long, and shortening them all - especially the one that goes to the jack cable terminal - will noticeably improve things.

PRS seems to have made a deliberate decision to do stupid things like this too, yes - my Hollowbody had eight inches of totally unshielded wire between the switch and the volume control, so of course it buzzed. I replaced it with proper shielded cable and the problem stopped...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you for this. Having never dabbled with changing anything but strings I've taken an old beat up, fucked strat copy out of the loft and I'm going to replace all the hardware, tuners and pickups. It wasn't working at all and I've managed to fix that as well as adjusting the vintage truss rod to cure some buzzing. Once I've become well acquainted with a soldering iron ill have a go at the Les Paul. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27885
    Once I've become well acquainted with a soldering iron
    One end gets hotter than the other.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom