Vintage clip from 1957 - LP Special and Custom content

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10914
So tame and corny. It's hard to believe this is the sort of thing they were designed for. They do look fab though. Hope they hung onto those guitars lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5030
    I actually liked that! Mind you, I liked Buddy Holly's version more.
    Call me Dave.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    DB1 said:
    I actually liked that! Mind you, I liked Buddy Holly's version more.
    Have you heard the Lonnie Donegan version? Produced by Joe Meek. Haunting stuff!

edited May 2020
    Quite reminscent of Buddy's treatment of it apart from the bloke in the background whacking a radiator with a spoon.    Nice vocals though. I didn't expect that.

I could imagine the first one being done in a 'Last Train To Skaville' style as well.
    Call me Dave.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    Is that Mickey Baker in the first clip with the LP Custom?  (author of the famous Jazz books)
    DB1 said:
    Quite reminscent of Buddy's treatment of it apart from the bloke in the background whacking a radiator with a spoon.    Nice vocals though. I didn't expect that. 
    Close, it was a milk bottle and a bread knife, isolated and close mic'd. Pioneering production for the time

Is that Mickey Baker in the first clip with the LP Custom?  (author of the famous Jazz books)
    It is! Well spotted. I've never heard of him
    edited May 2020
    What a great spot! Yes, Mickey and Sylvia,  and yes that's him.  *

* I'm not clever, I just looked it up.

Edit: and Sylvia looks a bit of a minx there. Bloody lockdown.
    Call me Dave.
    DB1 said:

Tell me about it. I would probably shag the aforementioned radiator about now
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6166
    DB1 said:
    What a great spot! Yes, Mickey and Sylvia,  and yes that's him.  *

* I'm not clever, I just looked it up.

P90s do that to a girl. :)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3506
    His signature LP is one of the coolest looking ones

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7195
    tame and corny but that tune will snap knicker elastic within seconds!!

(not mine)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited May 2020
    Just put that theory to the test and followed Mrs DB around the house singing 'Love Is Strange'.  

'Not as bloody strange as you', she muttered and walked off. One of the small downsides of having being married for over 600 years. 

Now, about that Sylvia.....
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16926
    Ah,

It was the summer of 1963, when everybody called me Baby and it didn't occur to me to mind. It was before Kennedy got shot, before The Beatles, when I wanted to join the Peace Corps and I didn't think I'd ever find a guy as great as my dad
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    edited May 2020
    roberty said:
    So tame and corny. It's hard to believe this is the sort of thing they were designed for. They do look fab though. Hope they hung onto those guitars lol

Tame and corny? Why post something only to describe it negatively? To me this is a great example of what ‘cool’ is. It’s got soul and has a beautifully hypnotic flow and groove to it. Oh, and it’s got an iconic and instantly recognisable riff that has stood the time! 

For more ‘cool’ I suggest looking further into Mickey Baker.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1807
    Just wish I could move my hips like that when I play LOL

And Joe Meek produced track ,Brian Eno of his days hitting those milk bottles no samplers back then
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5320
    edited May 2020
    Sylvia with the hypnotic hips, set up Sugar Hill records in 1979, and was the driving force behind such early hip hop classics like Rappers Delight and The Message by grand master flash.  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bobbatone said:
    roberty said:

Tame and corny? Why post something only to describe it negatively? To me this is a great example of what ‘cool’ is. It’s got soul and has a beautifully hypnotic flow and groove to it. Oh, and it’s got an iconic and instantly recognisable riff that has stood the time! 

For more ‘cool’ I suggest looking further into Mickey Baker.

It is objectively corny I'm sorry! It's a shallow interpretation of the song and it hasn't aged well. But it's a fascinating glimpse of the time and I find it interesting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    edited May 2020

I can sort of understand why you may think that it’s corny, but for me that is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s delivered in playful way and I think it suits the song. Personally I like it when artists perform with a little distance from the material. The actual recording is great in my opinion, it’s punchy and full of vibe. I also like Buddy Holly’s version but Mickey & Sylvia is the definitive version for me. As for it not aging well, I guess you are right, it isn’t on a thousand complications or featured in dozens of films!. I think it’s done alright! 

bobbatone said:

I can sort of understand why you may think that it’s corny, but for me that is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s delivered in playful way and I think it suits the song. Personally I like it when artists perform with a little distance from the material. The actual recording is great in my opinion, it’s punchy and full of vibe. I also like Buddy Holly’s version but Mickey & Sylvia is the definitive version for me. As for it not aging well, I guess you are right, it isn’t on a thousand complications or featured in dozens of films!. I think it’s done alright! 

I didn't say it was necessarily bad, either. I mean that description relative to the sorts of music those (perhaps even very same) guitars would go on to make