I got GAS again

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
After getting my Strat I stupidly just went on reverb and looked for a Sonic Blue one, which made me realise there are only 2 kinds 

1 - Custom Shop
2 - Vintera

I can’t see anything much in between unless you look outside Fender but came across this Japanese one and even have a RW board compare to lost with a Maple board.

Fender Stratocaster Japan 1962 RI Sonic Blue CIJ R-Serial 2004/05

https://reverb.com/item/33958485-fender-stratocaster-japan-1962-ri-sonic-blue-cij-r-serial-2004-05?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=33958485

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7113
    tFB Trader
    Looks more like Daphne Blue to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1832
    Get it bought, they're fantastic guitars.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    It is, listed under sonic blue search though but I like it.  Looks to be in great condition.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 956
    God, I wish I'd kept my Jap 62 reissue strat, if only to make £500 profit on the price I paid! 

Or more seriously to get it properly set up and played. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    God, I wish I'd kept my Jap 62 reissue strat, if only to make £500 profit on the price I paid! 

Or more seriously to get it properly set up and played. 
    Buy this one !
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    That guy on Reverb gets some great gear. Very nicely presented too
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    Andy79 said:
    True. Pricing of older Japanese Fenders however is out of control these days.
    Whilst very nice guitars, I don't believe they're significantly better than Fender Mexico's current offerings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jackobean said:
    Andy79 said:
    Whilst very nice guitars, I don't believe they're significantly better than Fender Mexico's current offerings.
    I think most guitar prices in general has gone way out of control.  It’s has shot up massively in the past 2 years, there are still some still for sale at good price but across the board I’ve notice the average has certainly gone up.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Jackobean said:
    Andy79 said:
    For me, I think a lot of vintage/vintage reissue stuff is hard to justify at the moment, just because the "standard" level is so high. Look at the Player/Vintera stuff - It's genuinely really good. Older Japanese stuff used to be good value because you could drop in your choice of pickups and have a quality guitar for less than a USA. Now though? Just get a Mexican one. They're good enough.

As I say though, that's for me. YMMV.
  • I've just commented on your other thread (with your new white Strat)... without having seen this thread.

I commented... "Beware, one Strat is never enough"
    ... and here you are already looking for another one!  It seems that the Strat magic spell is much more powerful and fast-acting than I thought!

Good luck with your quest for another Strat.  It's what money's for!

(and yes, as others have said, that doesn't look like Sonic... Sonic is a very pale blue)
    I've just commented on your other thread (with your new white Strat)... without having seen this thread.

... and here you are already looking for another one!  It seems that the Strat magic spell is much more powerful and fast-acting than I thought!

(and yes, as others have said, that doesn't look like Sonic... Sonic is a very pale blue)
    What I come to realise is that I prefer satin necks so I won’t be buying that one, plus it is the wrong blue.

• I've just commented on your other thread (with your new white Strat)... without having seen this thread.

What I come to realise is that I prefer satin necks so I won’t be buying that one, plus it is the wrong blue.

Well... the great thing about Strats is... there are so many options and variants out there to choose from.  So, when Covid 19 subsides, take your time and try a good few to see what suits you best.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    DeeTee said:
    Jackobean said:
    Andy79 said:
    For me, I think a lot of vintage/vintage reissue stuff is hard to justify at the moment, just because the "standard" level is so high. Look at the Player/Vintera stuff - It's genuinely really good. Older Japanese stuff used to be good value because you could drop in your choice of pickups and have a quality guitar for less than a USA. Now though? Just get a Mexican one. They're good enough.

As I say though, that's for me. YMMV.
    That’s just not the point of buying old gear. Sure a New guitar will do but it just ain’t the same as old junk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    I've just commented on your other thread (with your new white Strat)... without having seen this thread.

Well... the great thing about Strats is... there are so many options and variants out there to choose from.  So, when Covid 19 subsides, take your time and try a good few to see what suits you best.
    There is something missing from the Strat however, perhaps it’s this is all psychological.  I took the PRS out of its case (once in a year event lol), and immediately I’m in awe in the guitar, it rings different, I smile from playing it. I don’t know what it is.  The Strat feels more like a tool (which all guitars are), somehow it feels less of an event?  Perhaps it’s the relic on it, it removes the babying factor or something. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    RaymondLin said:
    Perhaps it’s the relic on it, it removes the babying factor or something. 

I think that's inevitable.  Even the most finicky person isn't going to be precious about a guitar which is already covered in dents and scratches.

Since all my go-to guitars (i.e. the ones I can get to without having to move a lot of cases) are relics, or at least VOS, I find I've been a little less careful with the pristine ones.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    I was just about to say that.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited May 2020
    Buy it!! Im also in the midst of a GAS attack but for a Tele to sit alongside my 62RI 

The Vintera range looks superb
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Can’t go wrong with a vintera imo, :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7195
    I have a sonic blue strat and you would be hard pushed to tell it was blue to be honest, it's gorgeous though
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2943
    There is something missing from the Strat however, perhaps it’s this is all psychological.  I took the PRS out of its case (once in a year event lol), and immediately I’m in awe in the guitar, it rings different, I smile from playing it. I don’t know what it is.  The Strat feels more like a tool (which all guitars are), somehow it feels less of an event?

I generally have that feeling with Fender style guitars and it's probably why they don't last long when I have one. Like you say, they tend to just feel like tools and that's why I couldn't spend more than  MIM pricing on one. I guess some love that aspect of it, but I feel like I have so little time to play these days that I want to play something I love that feels like a quality crafted instrument, rather than something just good enough/serving a purpose.

That said your strat looks great!