4 files, 3 mics. Can you hear the speaker sim (answers up)

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7870
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Which one sounds best to you?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LeXjpPkxeIDf2gr0n4qEMVUr4AFrCZ8m?usp=sharing

The mics: Beyer m380 TG, Audix i5 & a Sennheiser E906 (the positioning made little difference to the basic tone)
The sim: Suhr Reactive load into a Neunaber iconoclast
The Amp: Matchless Spitfire clone into a 10" Weber Blue dog
Reverb is in front of the amp

*Update* Answers are in post no 8
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I cannot.

Bye!

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    edited May 2020
    4 sounds the best to me - both clean and driven. 1 is a very close second. Can't really tell you why beyond it's the most pleasing to me and what my ears expect a decent recorded sound to come across like. Just sounds the most natural.

Wasn't particularly fond of 2 and 2 - sounded a bit boxy or choked. Sure others will prefer those though because we all hear it differently.

Be interesting to see which is which. With some tweaking you could probably get them all pretty close.

Edi: Oh yeah, the sim. Would guess 2 or 3 is the sim - maybe 2?
  • Can't tell which is sim, and they all sound fine enough, hard to tell without a mix to sit in but sounds good... 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1373
    edited May 2020
    No. 2 seems to have some clipping on it.

I’d guess no 1 is the speaker sim. It seems to have some air around it which the others don’t. I’m guessing the sim is possibly a multi mic IR with at least one room/ambient mic (possibly more even) 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    I'd also guess 1 is the sim, it has that slightly-too-perfect quality about it.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    liked No1 the least I think I liked the sound of No 3 most but close thing against No 4. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7870
    edited June 2020

1- Senn E906
    2- Suhr Reactive load & Neunaber iconoclast
    3- Beyerdynamic m380
    4- Audix i5

All mics 1-2 inches off the cloth.
    My thoughts

The E906 would have more bass if right on the grille as it's a supercardiod. Interesting mids.

Iconoclast had lots of highs rolled off here to better match the mics, could be more cutting easily if needed. Very flexible and keeps a bit more attack than the mics.

The Beyer sounds nice and big in isolation but in a mix who knows, its traditional use is kick drums or bass, here it could do the job an AKG D20 or ribbon would do if you blended tracks.
    Not sensitive to positioning at all, I guess due to it's huge capsule.

The Audix is the most neutral in this (it's a bright speaker) and many other cases and for that reason works well for acoustic guitar etc where you want more highs vs a 57 or for a fuller snare sound.
  • Oh yeah, I hear it now.

;)

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72981
    I agree with Dan_Halen. 4 sounded the best to me - the only one that actually sounds like an amp in a room, both clean and dirty. 1 was next, and was as good on the clean but slightly fizzy and artificial-sounding on the overdrive. 3 was next, and sounded OK but a bit dull and 'distant'. 2 was the worst, and sounded congested and muddy.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to listen before the answers were posted, but if I had I would either have picked 2 as the load (because it sounds wrong, and definitely different from the others) or if I was playing Devil's Advocate I might have guessed it was 4 because it sounds the best and has the most 'air' in it :). But realistically, I think you can hear that it's 2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1373
    edited June 2020

I’d guess no 1 is the speaker sim. It seems to have some air around it which the others don’t. I’m guessing the sim is possibly a multi mic IR with at least one room/ambient mic (possibly more even) 

Close but no cigar ... ;-)

Though there is definitely a clipping issue with 2, which possibly explains why people seem to like it least. Something is being hit too hot