Jaguar advice please

What's Hot
For some time now I’ve had a hankering for a jag.
The player jag looks good especially in tidepool but not having all the switches puts me off a little.
The current vintera ocean turquoise jag really takes my eye and with 7.25” radius, and ticks the boxes as does the vintera with humbuckers but I guess it has to be single coils really, and the ocean jag seems to be “on order” everywhere.
Up from that it’s over a grand then for a jap or usa?
Squier would be fine, as long as I don’t have to swap stuff out to upgrade the spec etc.
Apologies if this has been asked before but have you guys any advice pls.
Ide probably have to sell or p/ex a couple of guitars for the right one but I’ve fancied one for ages now.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    As the owner of a Fender Jaguar with “all the switches”, I would much prefer the convenience of a lever pickup selector switch à la Johnny Marr. 

The Player series model with the splittable humbucker has a 9.5” fingerboard radius.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    I'd hold-out for the Vintera, or look for used MIJ Jag. Actually the rosewood fretboard on the MIJ would likely swing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    edited June 2020
    Maybe go for a 2nd hand Avri or Marr (never played a Mexican or Squier so can't comment).. I had a Fender Japan  Jag about 20 years ago and the pickups were microphonic...plus the prices are ridiculous.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    As the owner of a Fender Jaguar with “all the switches”, I would much prefer the convenience of a lever pickup selector switch à la Johnny Marr.
    I much prefer 'all the switches', but they need to be modded to give you the series wiring with both switches down, instead of mute. I do actually find the bass-cut switch very useful - more so than modding it to a phase switch, which can also be done.

JD50 said:

I had a Fender Japan  Jag about 20 years ago and the pickups were microphonic...plus the prices are ridiculous.
    This. MIJ Jags and Jazzmasters have excellent woodwork and fretting, acceptable metal hardware, and terrible electrics. They are not as good as US ones and still won't be even if you do replace all the electrics, so they shouldn't be priced as if they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27723
    I don't mind "all the switches" but don't like how you can't go from neck to bridge (or back again) in one quick movement - that puts the 4-way in the "No" pile for me as well.

So for it's Cobain switch FTW!. JM toggle with a single slide switch that you can use for series/parallel or high-pass. I actually have one of those plates plus a set of Staytrem hardware waiting for me to source the other bits to bolt them on to... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    I don't mind "all the switches" but don't like how you can't go from neck to bridge (or back again) in one quick movement - that puts the 4-way in the "No" pile for me as well.

So for it's Cobain switch FTW!. JM toggle with a single slide switch that you can use for series/parallel or high-pass. I actually have one of those plates plus a set of Staytrem hardware waiting for me to source the other bits to bolt them on to... 

you can though - that's what the rhythm circuit switch is for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    My CIJ Jaguar and the stock pickups from my AVRI ‘62 went to a well-known hoarder on this forum. 

I vaguely recall testing the replacement pickups connected in series directly rather than via the slider switches but not being overly impressed by the result. Perhaps, I should reconsider?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

you can though - that's what the rhythm circuit switch is for. 
    Yeah but not really though - they don't sound the same!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    @stickyfiddle shouldawouldacoulda. get a proper one :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @stickyfiddle shouldawouldacoulda. get a proper one :D 
    :P 
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    ICBM said:
    I much prefer 'all the switches', but they need to be modded to give you the series wiring with both switches down, instead of mute. I do actually find the bass-cut switch very useful - more so than modding it to a phase switch, which can also be done.

JD50 said:

I had a Fender Japan  Jag about 20 years ago and the pickups were microphonic...plus the prices are ridiculous.
    This. MIJ Jags and Jazzmasters have excellent woodwork and fretting, acceptable metal hardware, and terrible electrics. They are not as good as US ones and still won't be even if you do replace all the electrics, so they shouldn't be priced as if they are.
    This.

The market for MIJ/CIJ offsets in the UK is insanely overpriced, especially for custom colours. Yes, they are great guitars, I had a CIJ Jag a couple of years ago and I still regret selling it, but over a grand for a Japanese offset is insane considering for an extra couple of hundred quid you can get a much superior AV/AVRI series guitar (don't forget your getting a USA made guitar + hard case for that as well).

This all seems to have started when a particular importer popped up on ebay a couple of years ago and started bumping up the prices, admittedly for some nice looking guitars, and since then everyone else has followed suit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    A used Squier VM with a decent setup, probably a neck shim is a fine guitar especially if you are testing the waters you will always get your money back
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    If you're testing the waters I'd also agree a squier vintage modified/classic vibe is a good place to start. Classic features, decent pickups and the newer classic vibe variant has a mustang type bridge stock. No real modding necessary, and if you then decide you like jags and want to try a more expensive model you'll be able to flip it without losing much at all.

I've had them at all price points, and I have a fsr shell pink classic vibe on order from Andertons. Cannot wait.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I’ve never owned a USA or Mexican Jaguar but I currently own a Classic Vibe one that is an excellent guitar. I think that it’s nicer than the Japanese Fender Jaguar that I owned for a couple of years.
  • Great info, thx fellas.
    Has anyone tried any of the vinteras?
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I just bought a Squire Classic Vibe Jaguar to try the 24"scale and it seems like a really great guitar for the money. I guess if the electrics fail I will curse it, but atm I cant put it down. And, it has all the switches.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    Great info, thx fellas.
    Has anyone tried any of the vinteras?
    I haven't but there's been a few over at the offset forum who have bought one. They seem to like them a lot, expect the usual standard mexican build quality (very good).
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    I'd try get an AVRI if you can.... But the build quality on the Japanese instruments is superb... They really know how to properly deal with fit and finish.

Get ALL the switches!!! 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    TADodger said:
    I just bought a Squire Classic Vibe Jaguar to try the 24"scale 
    Cheaper to buy a capo and put it on the first fret of a guitar you already own... 

... A lot less fun though. 
    I forgot I had one of the early Squier Jags. Great little thing, it needs a bridge or saddle swap as all Jags do, but was otherwise very gigable even with everything else stock.