If music is a language…

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    To, slightly, paraphrase  the late great dancer Isadora Duncan, when asked to explain a performance "If I could say what it meant, I wouldn't need to dance it " 

All art is at some level a communication, sometimes even a conversation, with each discipline using every technical and emotional key to unlock a response. Things fall down when, in our case, the player does not grasp the fact that to communicate and engage there needs to be something to communicate in the first place. As long as that is there why not use every trick in the book to get it across, as long as there is more than one trick 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    To me it seems more like music inspires human language than the other way round.

Talking isn't the origins of communication. It is a limited form of it. more so than music. Both are inspired by the pure concept of communication.

Communications happens on a physical and psychical level, that is the language I think of when I hear that music is a language. Not human language.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    jaymenon said:

People like Guthrie Govan, Steve Lukather, Dan Huff seem to combine melodic feel with the occasional flurry of notes that interests (rather than exhausts) my middle aged mind...
    Much though I love Guthrie the man, and his playing, I'd be the first to say that he frequently overplays! Steven Wilson was superb at getting him to reign it in a bit and produce some pure gold solos