Guitar lessons

What's Hot
rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 238
Anyone any idea when the Government will allow lessons to resume?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1127
    I'm doing all my lessons via Zoom - have been since March and they been going alright.

I expect to carry on this way until at least September and possibly beyond, worst case scenario is next year.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 238
    Ok thanks for that, I think
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    I started lessons back in November,face to face,but have had a couple via skype since the lockdown began. As I had built up a relationship with my teacher it has been quite easy to do a lesson this way and it has helped me tick over. I recommend anybody why is starting from scratch or just wants to get better to get lessons,it cannot be beaten in my personal view and limited experience. I cannot believe that I am where I am (still a relative beginner but much better than I ever thought I could be) in such a short period of time.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    Lessons are still happening via Skype or zoom!
    edited June 2020
    Online lessons are never going to be as good as in-person but right now the risk is too high to allow anyone into my studio. Luckily for me the majority of my learners are already familiar with Zoom as they use it for work meetings and can work from home so I've managed to retain about 75% of my numbers. 

Having lessons whichever way is always better and you will make more progress faster too. Routine and consistency is key. I've taken learners who couldn't play before to playing competently within a year and that's all to do with that regular hour slot once per week. You get the full focus from me on certain areas that may be weak, and I can spot bad habits from the off. I give structure and usually know what songs to pick or what stage to move to next. 

With the online stuff like Fender play or Yousician whatever its called there's not enough attention devoted to rhythm playing and getting the timing right. YouTube tutorials are too short (within 10 minutes) and way too fast for beginners to keep up, they end up giving up by the end of the video. Plus the all important thing, no one's there to give you feedback.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
     PLus the all important thing, no one's there to give you feedback.
    I think that this is the golden rule to one on one lessons. Bad habits can be spotted and ironed out straight away and knowing what to avoid puts you much closer to doing exactly what you need to do. The comment about some people going from zero to competent within a year gives me a lot of positivity towards my own goals as well.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 238
    Tbh I was asking on behalf of my OH.
    She has just got a violin and wanted to start off correctly etc.
    Thanks for replies. Will try and find a teacher with zoom
     PLus the all important thing, no one's there to give you feedback.
    I think that this is the golden rule to one on one lessons. Bad habits can be spotted and ironed out straight away and knowing what to avoid puts you much closer to doing exactly what you need to do. The comment about some people going from zero to competent within a year gives me a lot of positivity towards my own goals as well.
    Yep, basic things like how they hold the guitar and the way they sit are often neglected with beginners. Rhythm and timing are areas not looked at properly either which hold them back on the more complicated stuff.

Progress will depend on 2 things for me 1. The routine of the lessons (1 per week no missed weeks, no good if you do 2 in a row, miss 1, then another 1, miss another, etc etc.) 2. The quality of the practice i.e what you're actually doing in that time.
    Obviously a good quality tutor who is working with you to achieve your goals is important, not just someone who can play good and just uses lessons to show off or print stuff off the internet and wing lessons!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    I’m about to have a Skype lesson as we speak :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    Having great fun with @Vibetronic ;

Can definitely recommend.