How do I play this C9 chord?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    When I play this shape chord, my thumb is over the neck and muting the Thick E String. I suppose you could try different wrist positions. Usually, the middle finger is kind of doing an overlap and in some way "clamping" down the ring finger to aid the barre.

You can see Roland's pic, his thumb is more behind the neck and his wrist is in a more medically advisable position. Try both variations.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited June 2020
    I use my pinky on the barre but I seem to reinforce it with my ring finger. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    If it's an issue of you can't get the pressure from the ring finger to play all 3 notes, if you slide in to it from the fret below it helps a lot. 
    Place the ring finger first, and the other 2 fingers afterwards too. Otherwise its difficult to move the ring finger when the others are already in place.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    When I play this shape chord, my thumb is over the neck and muting the Thick E String. I suppose you could try different wrist positions. Usually, the middle finger is kind of doing an overlap and in some way "clamping" down the ring finger to aid the barre.

You can see Roland's pic, his thumb is more behind the neck and his wrist is in a more medically advisable position. Try both variations.
    I play the chord with my thumb behind or on top of the neck depending what I’m playing. The key point is that, to get my third finger barring cleanly, my hand is tilted at a slight angle rather than my palm being parallel to the neck edge. @viz’s is the same.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Roland said:

I play the chord with my thumb behind or on top of the neck depending what I’m playing. The key point is that, to get my third finger barring cleanly, my hand is tilted at a slight angle rather than my palm being parallel to the neck edge. @viz’s is the same.
    I think I end up with my hand in the same position regardless what I play, but I don't know how extensively I use this chord in differing styles of music. I guess I use it in Funky stuff more than anything, but it's a chord that features just as much in Classical music.

Looking more closely at my hand whilst playing, it looks quite freakish with how I position my wrist, but I can slide up and down all day with it.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    When I play that 9th voicing I tend to end up using the "wrong" side of my finger- the side next to my pinky finger, whereas @Roland and @Viz seem to be using the pads.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    The first knuckle on my third finger bends backwards easily enough to bend it to cover the three notes. I use that technique when doing say a  C5 chord too
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27706
    I don't think I've ever played that specific inversion before, but I just picked up a guitar without overthinking and barred the top 3 with the pad of my third finger. Thumb around the bottom to mute the low E:

To really get the high G to ring properly I'd probably add the pinky just on the e string, at least until my fingers had got used to playing it quickly & often: 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Roland said:
    This is more or less the most common “5th string root” 9th chord in blues and jazz. Awkward to begin with but just needs daily practice for a while. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    i view it as a dominant triad shape 213 but barre the 3rd finger across the bottom 3 strings.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24846
    I love being a bassist.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    JAYJO said:
    i view it as a dominant triad shape 213 but barre the 3rd finger across the bottom 3 strings.
    Exactly, it’s a dominant 7th chord with an added major 9th note.

ie C major triad (C,E,G) + minor 7th (B flat) makes the dominant 7th then + major 9th (D) to make C9. To my understanding anyway.