Why does my B string sound like a sitar???

What's Hot
I recently changed the strings on my PRS SE 245 to a slightly heavier gauge (9s to 10s). I’ve got it set up as best I can in terms of action / truss rod etc, but the B string seems to have a strange subtle sitarish sound ( best way I can describe it!). 

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I just got a new Reverend that has the exact same issue with the G. It's so weird.
  • pinching in the nut?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    The saddle of a sitar is a flat block that the string vibrates against, rather than an 'edge' that the string is in minimal contact with.  When a string has a sitar-y tone, it's often a miscut nut or saddle that leaves too much of the string having a flat contact.  If it's this you should be able to hear which end is the problem and get the relevant one (saddle or nut) recut/replaced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the replies. It’s a PRS wrap around one piece bridge so there’s no saddles!

So if it’s the nut how hard of a DIY job would it be to fix?
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Thanks for the replies. It’s a PRS wrap around one piece bridge so there’s no saddles!

Ah, probably the bridge then.  Wraparounds can make those kind of noises  Some folks like them for it..
  • dtr said:
    Thanks for the replies. It’s a PRS wrap around one piece bridge so there’s no saddles!

Ah, probably the bridge then.  Wraparounds can make those kind of noises  Some folks like them for it..
    So do I just have to live with it lol?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Does it do it on all the fretted notes, or just the open string? If it only does it on the open string it's the nut, if it's on the fretted notes it's the bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Does it do it on all the fretted notes, or just the open string? If it only does it on the open string it's the nut, if it's on the fretted notes it's the bridge.
    It’s all notes!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Crazyblue1779 said:

It’s all notes!
    It's the bridge then. It's probably been indented by the previous 11-gauge string, so the new 13-gauge is sitting on the 'burrs' that have been formed along the sides of the groove.

Loosen the string completely so you can get at the groove, and run the tip of a craft knife blade along it - be careful not to slip and scratch the top of the bridge. That can sometimes be enough to fix it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1883
    pinching in the nut?
    A g string will do that. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    14reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14756
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Crazyblue1779 said:

It’s all notes!
    It's the bridge then. It's probably been indented by the previous 11-gauge string, so the new 13-gauge is sitting on the 'burrs' that have been formed along the sides of the groove.

Loosen the string completely so you can get at the groove, and run the tip of a craft knife blade along it - be careful not to slip and scratch the top of the bridge. That can sometimes be enough to fix it.
    agree it sounds like a rough seat for the string to sit in - Might harm the finish a touch, but sometimes  double side some wet /n/ dry and clean to and fro through the string gap to clear up any rough edges - Worse case a thin round file like a top nut file and clean through the slot gently - Not only to clean the slot/groove and not make deeper/larger
  • sounds like fret buzz to me