Mustang 90 - P90s

What's Hot
SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605

Hello there,

I just snapped up a cheap Mustang 90 - more out of interest than anything else. I have never played with P90s before, and read they can be noisy (and certainly Fender's MP90s in the Mustang have mixed reviews in thsi respect).

My first impression is they are absolutely fine - in fact I am not sure where the criticism comes from ? Sure when put through my tubescreamer, and standing close to the amp there is a hum, which dies off when moving away. I am at a lower volume (home use) - so is this something that doesn't become a "problem" until you crank up ?

With regard to the Mustang 90, I am very impressed. It isn't particularly like a trad Mustang, and doesn't have the tremelo or switching - but it has a good solid, warm and clear tone. Shortscale, so lots of fun. Think this one may be a lucky break, as Fender's QC

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605

oops  - hit the wrong key.

Yes, was going to say that Fender's QC on this one was good - all working well, nice finishing and pocket fit etc. Fret ends need a little attention - but that is it. Leads me to wonder if higher end is worth it if  (especially given that I am not particularly accomplished etc) ?

Thinking this could be a good knockabout keeper (and worth spending a few quid with a tech for some TLC work).

But the P90s - noisy ? Not in my experience...

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I had a lovely little Fender Modern Player Mustang which had P90s with all the original switching. It was a brilliant little guitar, lovely tone. 

I really liked the switching positions, a subtle but defined difference between them and the pickups were better than you would expect on a cheapo Fender. It was one of the limited China made instruments Fender produced in the early / mid 2010s. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14753
    SPECTRUM001 said:
    ... the P90s, noisy ? Not in my experience.
    Try again, at stage volume and under dimmer lights. ;)

P90s are very definitely prone to hum and interference. My technique for disguising this is to crank up the amp input gain well into saturation and play muchly. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    I like the look of these and would happily own one if I needed a second P90 guitar. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    SPECTRUM001 said:
    ... the P90s, noisy ? Not in my experience.
    Try again, at stage volume and under dimmer lights. ;)

P90s are very definitely prone to hum and interference. My technique for disguising this is to crank up the amp input gain well into saturation and play muchly. 
    Yes, and a gentle/slow noise gate to choke the signal when you're not playing. :)
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605

Ah - ok. So they may well acquire louder hum depending on the environment and interference from other electrical currents.

Thanks for the info !