What budget strat (ish?) guitar as a base for upgrading?

What's Hot
Through my life I’ve always played H/H guitars ( primarily singlecuts) because ‘metal’. 

My music tastes and playing styles have mellowed over the years and I really fancy trying something ‘stratty’ (not that strats can’t  do metal but you know what I mean!). 

I don’t want to spend more than £300 and ideally I’ll be buying new. S/H is obviously an option too, but it’s simpler to be able to get from a retailer. I want to get something that will be a decent base for upgrading with time ( electronics, tuners etc)

Seeing as I’m a one guitar guy ( a horrific concept to many I know, but it’s due to space and finances!) my current guitar (PRS SE 245) will go to help fund this one.  

I’d like a HB in the bridge ( although if not I could possibly think about a single coil sized HB in the future). Other than that I’m really open to specs etc. 

So what would be everyone’s recommendations? I’ve seen Squires, Vintages, and Harley Bentons all around that price point. 

The ‘budget’ guitar market is a lot more crowded than it used to be ( a good thing!) but it means that there’s a lot more to choose from and I want to make sure I’m getting as solid a performer as possible. 

All advice is much appreciated. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4065
    I would get a Squier Classic Vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4261
    edited June 2020
    For £299 you could look at the Squier Contemporary Strat. I had the Active one and it was a great guitar: plus the neck might be more like what you’re used to, compared to a traditional Strat.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Might be worth seeing if anyone here has got a Partscaster going for that price.
    If you’re not overly bothered by brand association they can be excellent value 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • How much are you planning to spend on upgrades? If £300, you could actually get something like the ltd sn 1000. Available with a Wilkinson 2 point or a Floyd. That way, you get good woods, great built, Duncan/emg pickups, good hardware and locking tuners. The upgrades are done for you. 

• How much are you planning to spend on upgrades? If £300, you could actually get something like the ltd sn 1000. Available with a Wilkinson 2 point or a Floyd. That way, you get good woods, great built, Duncan/emg pickups, good hardware and locking tuners. The upgrades are done for you. 
    That would be way over budget ( which is £300 lol). I want something that will be good to upgrade over time, it’ll be a gradual process. 

• DrBob said:
    Might be worth seeing if anyone here has got a Partscaster going for that price.
    If you’re not overly bothered by brand association they can be excellent value 
    I’d certainly  be open to a partscaster , although I suppose the only thing that puts me off would be that it’s hard to know exactly what you’re getting.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    Unless you detest the PRS SE 245, keep it and rejig its control wiring to get more coil permutations than the three currently available to you.

A Freeway 3x3-03 selector switch can be configured to give the three standard sounds plus another three involving partial coil-splittage, phase reversal et cetera.

Another way to obtain “Fenderish” sounds is to install humbucker-sized Firebird pickups. I did this to a PRS S2 Singlecut. I shall show restraint by not posting any gratuitous pics of it here.

For most uses, a neck/Rhythm position Firebird-sounding pickup might suffice. Have a regular humbucker in the bridge/Treble position.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Unless you detest the PRS SE 245, keep it and rejig its control wiring to get more coil permutations than the three currently available to you.

A Freeway 3x3-03 selector switch can be configured to give the three standard sounds plus another three involving partial coil-splittage, phase reversal et cetera.

Another way to obtain “Fenderish” sounds is to install humbucker-sized Firebird pickups. I did this to a PRS S2 Singlecut. I shall show restraint by not posting any gratuitous pics of it here.

For most uses, a neck/Rhythm position Firebird-sounding pickup might suffice. Have a regular humbucker in the bridge/Treble position.

I had thought about doing something like that but tone is only part of it. The rest is standard GAS (no surprise there) and just the fact that I fancy a change. 

I also want to see what all the fuss is about when it comes to strats!
    Some of the fuss derives from the lower output pickups and, generally, reduced mechanical sustain due to the screwed-on neck joint, fulcrum vibrato bridge and accompanying cavity.

Between them, these factors oblige the player to put in more physical effort in order to extract the same signal output level as a guitar with a glued-in neck and humbuckers. 

This, in turn, means that more of a player’s individuality comes through. Allegedly. 

Additionally, some licks are easier to execute on a 25.5” scale length than the 24.5 or 24.594. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9822
    Used Pacifica 612V should come in around the £300 mark and is a bit more 'metal' than a Strat. Or new 112V or 212V should be closer to £250.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • the_butlerthe_butler Frets: 107
    +1 for the pacificas
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    A cheap option is a Squier SE  .The one called The Strat  in starter packs .Its full size and has a decent neck and full width nut  and full depth body .Its the number one for upgrades  and seriel modders from trem blocks to pickups .They are very good guitars anyway though alnico pickups are usually a requirement  as cheapy ceramics are fitted .Even so its suprising how good they are .The last one cost me 40 quid with a Marshall MG10 thrown in (which was much better that i thought  it would be ) and broken string .look on Gumtree.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    HAL9000 said:
    Used Pacifica 612V should come in around the £300 mark and is a bit more 'metal' than a Strat. Or new 112V or 212V should be closer to £250.
    My only though there is do the higher end Pacifica’s have the same narrower nut/string spacing as the 112 model ?if so the OP might find that a bit “tight” after playing a PRS ?

Otherwise great choice, if they made Pacifica’s with baseball necks & 1 11/16” wide nuts I’d already have several ! 
  • DrBob said:
    HAL9000 said:
    My only though there is do the higher end Pacifica’s have the same narrower nut/string spacing as the 112 model ?if so the OP might find that a bit “tight” after playing a PRS ?

Otherwise great choice, if they made Pacifica’s with baseball necks & 1 11/16” wide nuts I’d already have several ! 
    I'd not be a fan of narrow string placement. There's a G&L Legacy tribute in the classifieds that's caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience of them?
    Several of the Tribute series models seem to share the same neck profile. Reminiscent of a slim Sixties Fender but with a 12” fingerboard radius and enormous fret wire.

The Legacy should have US-made pickups of conventional alnico rod magnet construction. The S-500 has the MFD pickups with underslung ceramic bar magnets and adjustable polepieces. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Used MIM strat
  • Crazyblue1779Crazyblue1779 Frets: 185
    edited June 2020
    So, just an update, I grabbed a 2019 Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat off Facebook yesterday for £230. Should be here tomorrow all being well!