Vintage Japanese Tuners

musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 54
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Has anyone got any experience with this type of machineheas. While resting a guitar it just came off and cannot figure out how to reattach..  it's two sections which move independently... The top seems to attach to tge barely while the other moves the shaft.  

I just cannot get the top section to hold the tuner in place.  

Https://i.imgur.com/6iEl4uw.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2744
    Push it back into the hole and turn the threaded part till it's tight.
    They were a type of tuner that was intended to allow you to adjust the tension/turning force needed to turn the knob.
    You really need a special key to insert into the small hole, but you can do it if careful with a small tight Allen key.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15195
    The key button and key shaft in your photograph are supposed to engage with a gear wheel inside the ‘head housing. 

It will be necessary to remove the gear housing in order to access the moving parts within. With the innards uncovered, it should be possible to re-attach the gear wheel to the tuning shaft by means of a countersunk screw. 

If there is no such fastening screw, the whole shebang may be held together by a combination of the housing shell and a few washers.  

If in doubt, open up a second ‘head to see how the parts are supposed to fit together.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks..  It's an enclosed unit so can't be opened I've tried tightening the threaded section but it doesn't lock.   I tried the head in another tuner and it works so I guess the thread inside the tuner is worn.