Back up guitar

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3117
    I always take a backup.  I don’t mind different guitar types but what did cause me a bit of issue is switching guitars with different scale lengths, so I avoid that now.  I seem to have ended up with a few pairs of guitars that go together.

Les Paul + Westone Thunder Jet
    Charvel + Partscaster
    Shergold + El Maya
    Kawai Aquarius + Hello Kitty Strat

Which pair I choose depends suitability of the gig and just my mood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7283
    What string gauge is the LTD set up for?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    Depends on the gig, innit. 

If I played in a wedding / function / getting paid properly band then I'd definitely take a spare, as well as a spare amp (or suitable DI / modelling replacement). It would probably be a cheaper version of my main guitar, for maximum ease of switching. 

If I'm playing originals or covers for beer money on the toilet circuit then I'll probably take a spare set of strings and make sure I have some kind of emergency amplification (i.e. HX Stomp or other amp emulating pedal). 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1127
    Musicwolf said:
    Whichever way you go I suspect that you've got a long, long, time to think about it I'm afraid.  As have we all.
    I have had the guitar since December so plenty of time to think about it! Haha.
    Cols said:
    What string gauge is the LTD set up for?
    Its not been set up properly yet but there were 12-56's on it when it got given to me. I plan to keep it in a drop tuning.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7283
    The Epiphone’s going to be flap city in dropped tunings with 10s on it.  It’ll need heavier strings to be a backup guitar, which will mean needing to have the nut slots recut.

The LTD will probably be close enough to the Gibson to serve as an emergency backup if required, and it’s already sporting 12s for dropped tuning fun.

My advice would be to get the pickups on the LTD sorted out and have that for a backup.  Most likely you won’t need it if you’re keeping the Gibson well maintained, and this is the least-effort option.  Keep the Epiphone for standard tuning requirements.
    Cols said:
    The Epiphone’s going to be flap city in dropped tunings with 10s on it.  It’ll need heavier strings to be a backup guitar, which will mean needing to have the nut slots recut.

The LTD will probably be close enough to the Gibson to serve as an emergency backup if required, and it’s already sporting 12s for dropped tuning fun.

My advice would be to get the pickups on the LTD sorted out and have that for a backup.  Most likely you won’t need it if you’re keeping the Gibson well maintained, and this is the least-effort option.  Keep the Epiphone for standard tuning requirements.
    It will go to drop c and just about cope. c# lowest, that's the line. And yes for it be a proper back up it would need the same gauge as the main. To be honest a lot of things need sorting on it as its a pretty budget starter guitar, new tuners, nut recutting, intonaton, bridge saddles, and I think the electronics are really bad.

My friend who owned it played it in drop b for a lot of the old band stuff so its meant to be a drop tuned guitar. I always took my Epiphone to the shows just as a back up but never needed it, but like you say its not a proper one, just something to grab if something went down with the main guitar mid-set.

Yeah I just need to decided what I want to put in there as I like certain characteristics of both BKP and Seymour Duncan, just wish there was a hybrid between the two!

I wanna save my Epiphone for the standard tuning stuff, maybe get rid of the 10-52 gauge altogether and stick to 10's, that I can just cut a string gauge off my expenses, I already use 3 different ones across the guitars.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    I always take a spare. Can't afford to be faffing with string changes at weddings or parties, and definitely not public gigs.  My go to is a japanese HSS strat and spare is always another strat, but I'm not too fussy.