Editing protocol for FS threads

As a buyer, I'm constantly annoyed by long FS threads which still have full details and loads of pics for items that have already sold.  Sometimes you have to search the thread pretty thoroughly to find out what's sold and what's still available.  It's a pain.
I understand there's a desire for a kind of sold item archive, but I find leaving ALL the details in long-running threads is just an annoying waste of time.

With that in mind, I've been trying to maintain my own FS threads like this:

- When I add a new item to a post, I edit and add it to the OP and also make a new comment to record what's been added and when.
- When an item sells, I edit the OP description with SOLD, I remove all but the "main" photo so people can see what it was, and to make it even more clear, I change the description font to strikethrough,.  This means it's still readable, but clearly no longer active to a casual skim-reader. 
- I also add a new comment to state what has sold.
- I also edit the title to add/remove items as they come and go

The problem with this approach seems to be the strikeout font.  When editing a recent post, I noticed that the font edit gets reverted when I save.  So, two questions:

1)  What's the problem with strikeout font?
2)  Is my approach above generally okay, do you think?

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    The only rule we have is that you don't delete the prices - they're really useful to a lot of folk for gauging selling price (or, at least, the price to pitch stuff at).

Marking stuff as sold is encouraged.

The strikethrough font is...an editor bug that I've never managed to fix.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I typically do what the OP does as it’s seems a sensible approach to keep everything clear and avoid people bumping age-old threads because they missed a “Sold” post halfway down a page

I wouldn’t feel any need to make it mandatory as that’s going to massively increase work for the kids without significant benefit in the real world.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    I do basically the same as the OP, and use the strikethrough. The revert-to-plain-on-editing bug is a bit annoying, but you just have to remember to re-strike every time you edit.

But now I see it's OK to remove a lot of stuff other than a basic description and the price, I might do a bit of tidying up in mine... some of them have got a bit long.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    I try to remember to change the Title to add SOLD to the beginning of it, when everything in the post has gone.
    I got in the habit on other forums where there is a rule requiring that, and then the thread gets locked.