Classic Player 60s Stratocaster

SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605
Thanks to a Gumtree ad pointed out by Sandy from this here forum, I now proudly possess a 2014 Sonic Blue Classic Player.

My first impressions are great, and hoping it is going to be a keeper. Already set up pretty well, so aside from some future TLC, there isn’t much I need or would consider changing.

That said, if it is an easy mod (which I believe it is), was thinking about replacing the zinc with a steel block, and possibly a new bone nut.

Can anyone steer me regarding the block ? I found a USA Fender part on eBay, however the seller said it would not fit the MIM CP.

Is there a compatible Fender drop in (or recommended alternative) ? Am pretty sure this must have been done many times by others...

Apologies if this has been well trodden in the past - I didn’t see a recent discussion.

As always - many thanks in advance !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Callaham block is meant to be the best 3rd party block.  Or Mark Foley if you want a UK based builder. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605
    Thanks !

Will check out - not looking to have to change anything else (ie arm or routing), so really looking for a drop in (if such a thing exists)...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9822
    I've got a Callaham block on my MIM Std. To be honest the difference, though definitely there, is fairly subtle. Adds a little sustain and gives the guitar a bit more 'zing'.

Not all Strats have the same string spacing so you do need to check the spacing of the block before ordering.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8124
    Do those blocks fit a 50’s classic player?
    do you need a new arm?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9822
    edited June 2020
    As I understand things, as long as the string spacing is correct then the block will fit. I believe there is an unthreaded nylon insert inside the hole where the arm goes and that any arm will screw into it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it