Poplarlar?

What's Hot
Not that I need to build a new guitar (or need another strat type, really should wait for the clarksonesque challenge and to an SG), but guitarbuild have quite a nice looking poplar strat body on at the minute and I'm wondering whether to start a slow build with it. So things I'm wondering, how well does poplar stain? Might attempt a green wudtone, which would work with the wood's natural colour, but if it doesn't take stain then it would still be a muddy green.
The other thing, is how is poplar in general? From what I've read it should be similar to alder.
Or, if anyone wants to save me from this dilemma...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited June 2014
    Also, not poplar, but this will look great in an oil finish. (And is why I try to avoid their ebay page these days. Thank goodness I don't want another tele right now.)

• WezVWezV Frets: 17008
    Very much like basswood rather than alder.

it can gave a fluffy grain when sanded and can be quite soft, so i would go for a more durable finish rather than one that can swell that fluffy grain.

it does take a stain reasonably well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like poplar.  The reason it's cheap has nout to do with whether it's a good 'tone wood' but more likely it's looks - it's quite often got green streaks in it, and looks unattractive.  

However, this is not always the case and @wezv knows more than I do - nice to know it stains well.  Ugly bits go super cheap, if you want a solid body - even the really light bodies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17008
    i said "reasonably well"... its not without its own issues.  its a very porous wood which means you won't have an issue getting stain to soak in, but you do need to be careful to keep it even
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34023
    I find it pretty ugly when finished naturally- sort of green coloured and not a very nice one.
    Definitely one for a solid colour.

YMMV.
    Thanks. If you were staining what would you use as a durable finish? Would it have to be some kind of poly varnish?
  • WezV;272660" said:
    i said "reasonably well"... its not without its own issues.  its a very porous wood which means you won't have an issue getting stain to soak in, but you do need to be careful to keep it even
    Hmm... Perhaps I'll give a solid colour a go if I get one. Occasionally, they're silly cheap so I'm in a constant state of temptation.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    imalone said:

Isn't it funny how less hideously awful one of these Tele-shaped Strat things looks without the hardware?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    imalone said:

Isn't it funny how less hideously awful one of these Tele-shaped Strat things looks without the hardware?
    Guessing I wouldn't be bidding against you then. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalone;272858" said:
    ICBM said:

imalone said:

Guessing I wouldn't be bidding against you then. :)
    I really want one, so you might have to fight me. Except I've no money, so it's a project that's on hold for a few months I think.

I might try poplar for a jooky fabric and gold leaf finish...