Yamaha Revstar

What's Hot
Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Looking for some views on this range, really fancy the rs620 ( snake eye). I’ve been looking for a hardtail, humbucker guitar in this price range ( around 600 ). Any other recommendations in this price bracket ? Not looking for used.  Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    I tried a few after the initial hype of the launch had died down a bit.

I wanted to love them but found them still a little...ordinary. I think it’s the neck profile, which feels like every Yamaha I’ve ever played - not a bad thing at all but there’s something about it that means it doesn’t scream PLAY ME.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've played the 720 with the Bigsby. Nice guitar, very well put together. The very flat, 14" fretboard radius might be a bit marmite though, so I'd recommend trying one in person before splurging.

My recommendation in that price bracket would be a PRS SE Mira (or SE Starla if a single-cut is more your thing).
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I hear a lot of people bring up the subject of the neck. It wouldn't phase me. I assume it's like a Gordon Smith.

I think there's Gibson guitars for New within your budget if that's also your bag.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited June 2020
    I tried a few after the initial hype of the launch had died down a bit.

I wanted to love them but found them still a little...ordinary. I think it’s the neck profile, which feels like every Yamaha I’ve ever played - not a bad thing at all but there’s something about it that means it doesn’t scream PLAY ME.
    This is how I feel about the ones I've played as well. I love how they look and they're good guitars, but just found them a bit dull/un exciting somehow. The necks are also quite skinny. 

Personally I'd be looking at a PRS SE of some sort. Way better than most in their price range imo. You might be able to stretch to a pre owned/ex demo S2 on that budget which would give you the pattern regular neck which might be one of my favourite neck profiles ever. One of those where it instantly feels right. Feel like I'm turning into a PRS fanboy and I've never even owned one but every PRS I've played so far I've enjoyed. Only thing is I feel like the SE neck profiles vary a bit, a few of the wide fats I've played have felt a bit too big for me, but then some of them felt similar to my Gibson 50s rounded.

I didn't really rate the new 2020 Epiphones I had a go on, same for the lower end Gibson tributes.
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited June 2020
    I have an RS620.

It is very well made and vastly more ergonomic than a Les Paul style guitar. The neck is pretty chunky (21.1 mm at the 1st fret and and 25.2 mm at the 12th - only the 320 and 420 have the skinnier neck). On the downside the bridge is a piece of junk - the saddles have a tendancy to break and the intonation range is limited. I fitted a brass ABM 3024n (with metric studs) that was a huge improvement. (For this reason it might be worth looking at the RS820 which comes witha TonePros bridge.) I also fitted black Ibanez Suregrips which look better and are more practical than the original plain metal knobs. I also fitted an adjustable treble bleed as turning down the volume killed off most of the top end.

The list price is way over the top. I got one new for 20% off the shop price (and so1/3rd off the RRP) and IMO even that was pushing it, value wise, especially given the marginal quality bridge fitted as standard. (The Bigsby models don't seem to sell well and have been on sale at 50% of the RRP, so keep this in mind if you are tempted by one of these.)

Overall, a very competent guitar and nothing else ticked all the same boxes when I was looking for a modern take on the Les Paul theme. However, I must admit that I also find the RS to be rather bland. I had a Talman 1720M Prestige in the sunburst finish that had way more character and personality which I sold and still miss (other than the narrow nut spacing). Doubt I would miss the RS if I ever sold it.

Edit. I see that the RRP for the 820 is now over £1100 . That is just crazy talk! 

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    edited June 2020
    TTBZ said:

The necks are also quite skinny. 

Three-ColourSunburst said:

The neck is pretty chunky

Neck profile deathmatch!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    I’ve played a couple of them - both humbucker models, the cheapest one and one further up the range - and found them pretty uninspiring. The cheaper one was probably the worst Yamaha electric I’ve ever played - lumpy, heavy, characterless and with a neck fault that made it unplayable without major fretwork. The more expensive one was fine, just boring.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZ said:

The necks are also quite skinny. 

Three-ColourSunburst said:

The neck is pretty chunky

Neck profile deathmatch!

The 320 and 420 are 'skinny'  (20.0 mm at the 1st fret and and 22.6 mm at the 12th) the rest are 'fat' (21.1 mm at the 1st fret and and 25.2 mm at the 12th).

• I’ve owned the 820 and the rsp20cr. Both were great but very different in sound and feel. They are both solid builds with the rsp20cr being particularly well made.

I preferred the neck on the 820 but the rsp20cr sounded huge. The rsp20cr has a big chunky neck on it which was pretty comfortable. I just had trouble getting around it, maybe given time I would have got used to it. I’m always tempted to pick up another as it was a very big sounding guitar with tons of sustain.

The 820 was also big sounding but had a bit more upper mids which gave the impression the pickups were a tad hotter. The neck was also a bit more on the slim side. I found it much easier to play out the box. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14758
    tFB Trader
    I've had a few used examples in stock over the last 2 years or so - In a typical Yamaha way I find the build quality is pretty good - But I do find them rather bland regarding tonal character - A big fuss about them at launch and it is almost as though the ad/promo designers had a hand in the tonal character as well 

I'd prefer an SE or even a used S2 for similar money - I also found the used Revstars I had in stock not easy to sell, either in store or at guitar shows
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Thanks everyone 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9822
    edited June 2020
    I have an RS620.

...On the downside the bridge is a piece of junk - the saddles have a tendancy to break and the intonation range is limited...

The list price is way over the top. I got one new for 20% off the shop price (and so1/3rd off the RRP) and IMO even that was pushing it, value wise, especially given the marginal quality bridge fitted as standard.

Always seemed odd that if you buy a 3xx (or above) Pacifica you start getting bits bought in from elsewhere. For instance the 311H gets Grover tuners and Graphtech nut. From 5xx upwards you  additionally get Seymour Duncan pickups and, for trem models, a Wilkinson bridge assembly. 

Seems with a Revstar that going further up the range generally gets you more features such as tummy cuts, nicer finishes, etc. As far as I can see though things like the bridge, tuners, etc are no better on the more expensive models than on the cheaper end of the range.

Bearing in mind that the first digit in Yamaha’s model numbers has traditionally been an indicator of additional features and quality it seems strange that the Revstar range doesn’t seem to work in quite the same way (IMHO of course).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    I've been dwelling on the 502 with the denim blue finish and tailpiece. I had a 502 in billet green, hated the finish and that shitty bridge and returned it. Shops don't appear to up to discounting on these models and if anything they are increasing the prices. Any tips or stores that would provide a discount?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9822
    Yamaha77 said:
    Any tips or stores that would provide a discount?
    Yamaha London will price match. Their ticket prices seem to be on the high side, but my experience is that they are willing to do a deal.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    HAL9000 said:
    Yamaha77 said:
    Any tips or stores that would provide a discount?
    Yamaha London will price match. Their ticket prices seem to be on the high side, but my experience is that they are willing to do a deal.
    They will. Already had a price match from them on one advertised at Andertons for £110 less
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    edited June 2020
    Matteo Mancuso has spurred some major gas for one of these.
    Shame to hear they're so underwhelming.

• Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Yamaha Revstar RS502TFM Electric Guitar In Vintage Japanese Denim seen for about £580 in a few places but still £80 more than I'm prepared to spend as saw some shops selling them for £499 a while back.