Oil for Walnut guitar build

What's Hot
Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
Just wondering recommendations for oil and best application techniques for a walnut esquire build. 

Am either going to go with a parchment or white Pickguard like the Rickenbacker walnut basses. Any opinions valued

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    I used Tru Oil as it doesn't age to a yellow tinge or crack (if you use a lot of coats).

3 to 4 coats applied with a soft clean cloth should do the trick. Leave plenty of time to dry between coats too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27958
    The @WezV wet sanding technique
    :+!:

That second one is as smooth as a very very smooth thing.    Check the M&M section for Wez tips.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Or tung oil or danish oil. I've used both on guitars. Apply with a cloth and leave to dry. Careful with the old cloth as they can combust!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    tru-oil is designed for gunstocks, which are traditionally made from walnut.  Its perfect for it, however you chose to apply it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    edited June 2020
    Walnut oil.

I have no technical basis for this and it may well be a terrible idea..

edit. alright I've looked it up and you're good to go. It's what the wood itself would want.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Thanks everyone I'll try to find some tru oil. Doesn't look like any high st places sell it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Yamaha77 said:
    Thanks everyone I'll try to find some tru oil. Doesn't look like any high st places sell it.
    I got a small bottle on eBay.
  • UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
    I always use Liberon finishing oil. Its what Hugh Manson uses and recommended to me when I was starting out. Always gave a good finish on every wood I ever put it on, Walnut included.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    I've ordered the tru oil this afternoon but will remember that liberon stuff for future projects