Epiphone SG Pro - High E string choking at 3rd fret

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Looking for a bit of advice here - purchased a new Epiphone SG Pro a few weeks back, and have noticed the high E string chokes a lot when playing the 3rd fret.

Assumed the frets needed levelling - which they did - so managed to do that (carefully!) and they all appear level now. However, the choking is still there, although not as bad.

I've adjusted the truss rod as well - it needed to be turned as far to the 'left' as it would go - but I'll be damned if I can figure this out.

Assuming it's not a nut issue as open string is fine, as are other frets.

Can anyone point me towards next steps please? Driving me mad, as it's a lovely little guitar otherwise!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 324
    If it is choking it means that when you press down at the 3rd fret another fret is choking it. Put a capo on at the 3rd fret at carefully work out which fret is causing the choking.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    OK - then what though? I'm assuming sand that fret slightly?
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 324
    Once you have found the culprit fret I would go back to the "they" you mentioned in the OP who so carefully did the fret levelling and demonstrate the choking and show them the offending fret as their fret levelling has not levelled the frets; they need to finish the job.

I have never tried sanding only one fret so I would not want to offer advice about doing that. Maybe the more experienced makers and modders here can.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3100
    In my opinion you need to do a proper setup, THEN see where the problem lies, if you can’t do it, take it to someone who can, or watch enough YouTube setup vids to do it properly yourself.....otherwise you risk making it worse...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom